Author Topic: R Murphy Hawken?  (Read 1981 times)

PoorPete

R Murphy Hawken?
« on: July 04, 2021, 05:30:25 PM »
I am new to the forum and hope I’m posting this correctly. I just purchased a contemporary built hawken rifle with a Harold Robbins lock, a 8 grooved rifled bore in 54 and a barrel stamped R Murphy St Luis. Just wanted to see if any of the members know anything of the builder or a ball park time it might have been made.

scaping smileys

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: R Murphy Hawken?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 07:16:31 PM »
PP:  Sorry, I can offer nothing to help with your questions.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 08:23:28 PM »
For me this rifle is very  similar to a rifle made with a Petersoli kit. But I am only  an old grumbler, and I migjt be wrong.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 08:42:02 PM »
The Robbins lock could offer a clue, or not. Lots of parts are bought, lay around a long time, then get sold to somebody with the time and interest to complete a build.
Andover, Vermont

PoorPete

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 12:03:13 AM »
Thank you guys for your input! I have only seen two other ml’s with the makers name (R Murphy) on the internet, so I assume few guns were probably made by Mr. Murphy. The rifle I have of his has great wood work and some rough metal work but a good overall rifle. Half of my family are Murphy’s and well you know just kinda partial to the name. Thanks

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 10:48:40 PM »
Sorry- cannot help with your questions but I do have an observation. That's a lot of drop at the heal.
Interesting gun.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

PoorPete

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 05:28:24 PM »
Daryl, that is a very good observation that I did not notice until you pointed it out. I’m going to have to measure it when I get home.

PoorPete

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 05:31:04 AM »
The drop measured 4 1/4” with 14 LOP.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 12:53:16 AM »
With that extreme drop at the heel I would think with a heavy load it would smack the shooter
a good bit.A friend of mine,Sid Estep built a copy of the Robideaux Hawken and he is a superb machinist
and copied it to less than 1/32 of an inch on any shown dimensions and his father shot it and said the butt
plate was an abomination so Sid made a second one with a shotgun butt plate and it was his father's hunting
rifle until he died. Sid also made some nice locks and I helped him but they were not wanted by the shooters
and he quit.Another fine maker lost forever to the muzzle loading fraternity.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:59:12 AM by Bob Roller »

PoorPete

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 03:40:23 PM »
Bob,
I would image your right and I can tell you are a wealth of knowledge. I am new to Hawkens and have little to compare it with. I have been shooting every weekend so far, with 3 shots fired at each of three targets with the best group put up on the wall in the garage to see my progress and effects in changes. I look forward to learning and sharing with many of the members.
Thanks Pete