Author Topic: My first rifle  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Robert Hill

Re: My first rifle
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2021, 06:28:20 PM »
For the sideplate I copied an example from a rifle by my grandfather, I will have to ask him.
-Robert

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2021, 02:58:03 PM »
Great job Robert!  I asked about the progress over on the accoutrements forum, but I should’ve looked here first. Be sure and bring it to Lexington so we can get fingerprints all over it!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2021, 10:30:18 PM »
Hey Robert,

Can you post any photos from during the forging process of the trigger guard and buttplate?   Your forging experience must have come in handy.

Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2021, 01:48:12 AM »
I do not have any pictures of the forging of the trigger guard or buttplate sadly, I have no pictures of the trigger guard process because I forged it out at the L. W. Paul living history farm in June of last year and didn’t even think I would end up using it on this rifle. However it worked out to be what I liked  on that rifle. If it had been in my mind then I may have taken pictures of the process. Haha
-Robert

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2021, 12:16:53 AM »
Thanks for the kind words fellows. Yes, Jim I am very pleased of with Robert's first rifle and also look forward to seeing many more.
Scottmc, the sideplate Robert referred to is on a rifle I built about thirty five years ago. It was just something out of my head.
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2021, 07:02:01 PM »
Wow!!  Beautiful, and a first.  I see a bright future for you.