Author Topic: Nitric acid stain  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
Nitric acid stain
« on: July 07, 2021, 02:36:11 PM »
I've been at this for a long time, and have not figured out how to keep my stain from turning to sludge. I mix 1-3 acid-H2o, use a clean piece of wrought iron and distilled water, and put the vessel in a bucket of ice. I can't seem to keep it from going to sludge...Any suggestions would be appreciated.....Thanks...Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline P.Bigham

Re: Nitric acid stain
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »
I use well water and degreased finish nails. I keep adding them til the acid is finished. Then strain it through filters til clear.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »
I get some sludge on the bottom of the jar, but I just use the stuff on top. Not a big deal.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 03:51:00 PM »
It's an exothermic reaction so it generates heat, even though it's in an ice bucket.  The heat allows more to go into solution, even though it's not super-saturated.  As it cools over time you will always get the precipitation.  You can either filter it, reheat it to force it back into solution, or just shake the bottle and use it "as is" which I usually do without any side effects.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 04:15:38 PM »
I just learned something new thank you for posting.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 05:23:14 PM »
Add the iron slowly, over many days.  This will minimize the precipitate.  Interestingly enough, I've not found the precipitate to affect color much.  We've tried side-by-side comparisons of solution with and without the precipitate and I couldn't tell the difference.  We shook the solution with the precipitate when doing these tests.

Jim

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 07:08:25 PM »
What TOF described is exactly what is happening.  It will always 'super saturate' somewhat when you are making it because it heats up which aids in more dissolution of the iron.  When it cools, voila:  precipitate.  If the precipitate bothers you, you'll need to filter and decant it probably two to three times over the course of a year to get the majority of it out.

If you are getting a LOT of sludge when it cools, then you're adding too much iron too quickly and it's heating up too much.  If you hold you hand against the container when making it, it should only feel mildly warm, never hot.  Like Jim mentions, slow it down.

Unless your mix is really, really loaded with sediment, it's won't affect the stain at all.

The sludge has other uses if you filter it out and dehydrate it; the particle size is exceptionally fine and it can be used as a coloring agent in varnishes that will be transparent as opposed to most coarsely-ground pigments that just look muddy in an oil or varnish.  You can render oils anywhere from yellowish-orange through reds with the stuff and it's more finely 'ground' than most anything you could buy.  All depends upon how you dehydrate it.  I'm positive it was used historically.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 03:46:15 AM »
Thanks for the info. I thought keeping the container iced was enough, but I am putting in too big of a piece of iron. Next time Ill try thin wafers and space out the process.
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Not English

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 06:39:55 AM »
Dan,

I don't worry too much about the iron/steel. I tend to use steel wool just because it's usually on hand. I do filter it using coffee filters after I've left it to settle out.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 02:27:38 PM »
I Have to say you guys are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for replying