Author Topic: Kibler Colonial American  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Frozen Run

Re: Kibler Colonial American
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 08:45:30 AM »
Nothing to be concerned about. There's nothing to repair. There is very little room between the lock and barrel and openings in the mortise are common, even on originals.

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2021, 12:36:25 PM »
Thank you F.R.

Offline Not English

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2021, 11:38:47 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. Depending on how close the tolerances are when inlet, you may need to grind a little off the side of the bend on the mainspring for a proper fit. The thin wood and/or a slightly narrower bend in the mainspring will not affect performance in the least.

Offline Hutch

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2021, 01:32:15 AM »
I was notified today that my 58 cal Kibler kit was going to be shipped to me.  It was just about the eight week wait Jim Kibler quoted.  This is my first black powder rifle of any kind.  I have not even shot a black powder of any kind although when I attended a black powder shoot,  some of the men offered their rifles to me to try.  I declined.  Terrific bunch of folks BTW.  I'm not a new shooter in any other area of the shooting sports.  I have collected most of the tools I need and am ready for my introductory BP rifle.  I'm raring to go.  Too bad I ordered a few Pfeil chisels from Woodcraft but they are still on backorder,  and this is the second backorder delay.  I may need to order another  couple of chisels to make up for the missing Pfeils.  Which brand would you recommend?

I just got one of my pfiels in a couple days ago I ordered back in March.  Crazy! Just won an auction on ebay tonight for 7 pfeil gouges, $188 vs the almost $350 new! Can't wait for those to come in!

Everyone says to hit the local junk shops to find them but I haven't had any luck around here, probably been to 7 in the last week and found one.  You might give it a go that way or keep an eye on ebay, sometimes you get lucky lol!

When I built my colonial that other chisel hadn't came in so I did everything with the 1/8" one that did.  Those things are so close you really don't need much lol!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 01:42:00 AM by Hutch »

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2021, 04:32:10 AM »
Hey Hutch,  thank you for the post.   As a matter of fact the tolerances of Jim Kibler's kits are so tight and exacting I could do it with a single edge razor.  Yes I'm exaggerating but not by as much as you might imagine.  I am glad I bought the kit if only to allay my fears from a first time build.  I was totally new to this hobby.  It wasn't as tough as I had imagined,  as the work has been well planned out and the design is close to flawless.  I've built buildings and homes from scratch,  maintained skyscrapers and huge buildings,  but Black Powder Muzzle Loading Flintlocks were a brand new game for me.  I have a healthy respect for new projects.  I could have begun my venture here with a " How difficult could this be?" attitude.  I would not have made many new friends at all  and could have been branded a blowhard.

So I waited on the exact chisel from the supplier and have begun.  Yep I waited since May 8th for a 6mm chisel and although the 12 mm is still on back-order I have a 10mm.  Like you I won a bid on some Pfeils from Ebay.  Nice stuff and brand new,  for a significant discount.  In any event I find the moment the stock is set in the vise and a chisel is in my hand I'm gone.  All sense of family duties,  chores,  and stresses of daily living flee back to wherever they came from.  I'm free.

In jest I add,  the art of stock making is simple.  You take an eight pound piece of wood and remove all extraneous pieces until you have three pounds of wood.  " There, I am done."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 10:18:00 AM by REDRIVERII »

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2021, 10:28:53 AM »
It's funny to read this thread again as I took a hiatus from building/assembling/slapping together/Jerry Lewis shake the box/elves'll do it and began to build it today.  So at first the beginning posts boil down to calm and presentable,  passive/aggressive remarks,  then to some caring and interested presentations.  Just drink three cups of Joe and your spit will be strong enough to hold the lock in place,  save the screws, and a razor blade will be able to do the trim.  Riiight!  Then the concerned, and those for ingenuity and can-do,  guided me to make tools that are perfect for this kit.

Pics tomorrow.  Thank you.

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2021, 03:13:49 PM »
That’s fine Red. Don’t worry. By the way, I found Warren Cutlery makes nice chisels and they aren’t that expensive.

Feel free to PM with questions on building the Kibler, I ll be happy to walk you through it.

Allen

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 06:58:51 PM »
That’s fine Red. Don’t worry. By the way, I found Warren Cutlery makes nice chisels and they aren’t that expensive.

Feel free to PM with questions on building the Kibler, I ll be happy to walk you through it.

Allen

Hey Allen,  just wanted to say Thank you for your offer.  BTW I must mention I thought I had two Moravian books,  not so.  I done messed up.

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2021, 07:56:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that Red.

Give me a PM if you need some help. Built quite a few Kiblers now. Watch Jim’s videos and he is a great guide as well!

Best,
Allen

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2021, 07:14:02 AM »
Right.