Author Topic: How to make chisels ???  (Read 2927 times)

Offline RedRiverII

Re: How to make chisels ???
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2021, 07:36:43 PM »
This topic has been covered numerous times.  I began the thread with an explanation.  The senior members here have probably seen this type thread more times than they can remember,  or care to remember. I'm sure they haven't searched for this topic because it doesn't exist on the latest search,  the threads must expire after a short while. A couple of remarks.  I'll head over to Stew Macs and look at 5/32's wireWhere can I get 0-1 or W1 wire in a small quantity?  Thanks for posting some more,  it helps.  I agree with it isn't too difficult.  My fears of not being perfect get in the way.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2021, 07:43:15 PM »
McMasters-Carr
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline paulitus

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2021, 11:25:06 PM »
When I attended the gunsmithing program at Trinidad State Jr College in 1977, each student was required to make a chisel set to use in the stock making class. Oil-hardening hex stock, heat, beat, grind, polish, harden, polish again, draw to desired color. I am still using them today.

Offline BJH

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2021, 02:28:11 AM »
The 5/32 music wire is available through the model airplane builders suppliers. Last I got I bought it from Sig mfg they were a big supplier back then. It was usually used to fabricate landing gear. Sizes from 1/32 through 3/16 we’re available. BJH
BJH

Offline BJH

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2021, 02:29:56 AM »
Just checked Sigs still in business. Page 100 in their catalog. Looks like they don’t carry 5/32. 3/16  would work fine though. BJH
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 02:41:17 AM by BJH »
BJH

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2021, 04:31:50 AM »
Thanks folks,  I founds Sigs MFG. and will order some wire.  McMAsters-Carr id a difficult site to figure out,  at least for me.  I need to spend some more time there.  Nice set of tools paulitis!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2021, 04:39:11 PM »
I'm not a 'Master" so take that into consideration. I can and do make a gun from a blank with a minimal set of tools. I use a Phiel  chisel that is 3/16" wide and another that has a sweep that matches the curve of the lock nose. That's it.  That will get all of your parts inlet. Don't waste a bunch of money or invest alot of time on something you don't need.
  If you are going to get into raised relief carving your tool kit will probably expand. Untill recently the only extra relief carving tool was a very small "V" or parting tool. That is it. A couple years ago I expanded to a large variety of sweeps so I could stab in carving. Had to buy a roll just to put all of them in. ::)
Check out my building tutorial.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »
Hey Mike,  thanks for the post.  I just got off the internet merry-go-round,  you know when you begin on one subject,  such as " How do you make terrific corned beef hash."  Within 5 minutes or so you are involved in " Does Ft. Knox really have all the gold they claim."  Thanks for the lifeline.  I did start out this morning on the subject of chisels and ended up in God knows where.  During the 2 month wait for the Kibler kit I have bought enough stuff to begin a small shop.  I am familiar with you from the internet and know your words carry weight so thanks for the post.  I did get carried away with buying.  There were several other concerned new friends that have set me straight with all the buying.  I bought two things that have nothing to do with LR builds during my latest frenzy. " Personal Memories of Ulysses S. Grant, by Ulysses S. Grant."  and what was promised to me to be the only chisel that can correctly carve the nose cavities of the Brachiosaurus that lived in North America 150 million years ago.  The producer also added that I would be perhaps the only buyer this year to get it for the unbelievable price,  special today only my friend,  no coupons or discount needed,  of,  one eldest child and a bucket of fresh squeezed wheat grass juice.

Waiting is not one of my strong suits.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2021, 06:45:15 PM »
Seriously, I think I could build a Kibler kit with a sharp pocket knife.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2021, 07:10:24 PM »
I agree.  How many times in your life did will and determination overcome serious challenges.  No kidding but I bet you could build a LR from a slab.  Well maybe two knives,  one will surely be sharpened out to a nub.  In the meantime I finally ordered some 0-1 steel in both rod and flat.  That should end the chisel search by making my own.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2021, 08:25:08 PM »
RedRiver,
Interesting what Mike said! heard a story, possibly from Jim Chambers, that he or another master builder, was taught to carve on a long rifle by, I think John Bivins, with nothing more than a pocket or pen knife blade. If Jim is following, maybe he can chime in with any details he can!
elkhorne

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2021, 08:48:52 PM »
Small chisels can be made from those small file sets with a water stone rub the chisels end to make what you want, add handle I have made a set from 1/8 wide to about 3/8s sharpen on diamond stone & leather strop on  scrap of hard leather glued to board coated with that yellow bar that looks like a crayon. forgot brand.
 U gouges from steel pipe or spring steel not hardened Bend over a round bolt or something an heat treat.   Kind a fun actually, but I welded for 40 years so I like beatin on metal--- A lot.....Tom

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2021, 11:49:54 PM »
O1 or W1 Drill Rod to your heart's content. Zoro is the retail side of Grainger, so lots of other tools and supplies are available.

Create an account and get 10-20% off coupons in your email every couple of weeks or so.  $50 free shipping.

https://www.zoro.com/search?sort=asc%7Cprice&q=o1%20drill%20rod

https://www.zoro.com/search?sort=asc%7Cprice&q=w1%20drill%20rod

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 11:58:38 PM by rmnc3r »

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2021, 12:13:41 AM »
I never met a coupon I didn't like. 10-20% very once in a while works for me,  thank you rmnc3r.  Gunmaker,  my initial duties as an apprentice plumber was to hammer and chisel holes in walls or remove tiles from walls etc.  I loved it,  you could get your ya-yas out,  and not get in trouble. Pretty much like teeing off at golf,  you get to whack something and nobody screams.  Although I believe making chisels requires a bit more finesse.  Well I'm off to Zoro to start an account.  What handle material is best?  I should have asked that sooner. 

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2021, 12:17:54 AM »
Whayt is the difference between O-1 hard and W-1 hard?  Oil Hard vs water hard?

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2021, 01:54:49 AM »
Googlefragen:

O1 oil-hardening is the most widely used grade of drill rod because of its unique balance of excellent toughness and moderate price. O1 drill rod has a higher alloy content and much better toughness than its water-hardening counterpart. O1 drill rod is an all-around general purpose tool steel that exhibits reliable hardening, excellent toughness, and good wear-resistance properties. It is a great replacement for W1 drill rod when those properties are required.

W1 water-hardening drill rod is widely popular and the least expensive grade drill rod. W1 water-hardening drill rod has a lower alloy content than the other types of drill rod such as air-hardening and oil-hardening grades. The lower alloy content of this W1 grade allows the steel to be easily machined but lacks the toughness for welding. The W1 water-hardening drill rod grade is intended for users who want a lower price and do not require the added toughness, strength, and hardness of the air-hardening and oil-hardening grades.

http://Http://advantagetoolsteel.com/products/drill-rod/

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2021, 04:29:17 AM »
The Zorro $50 free shipping is worth it's weight in gold.  Many a time I would start a making my list and wait until it showed up in my emails. 

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2021, 04:29:32 AM »
I made small chisel out of an Allen wrench. Works OK for shaving wood. 20+ years ago and still going.

I mainly use O-1 or W-1.

I have a [2] small corning chisel that needs finishing.

Just as easy to make two at a time.
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2021, 08:30:45 PM »
When I attended the gunsmithing program at Trinidad State Jr College in 1977, each student was required to make a chisel set to use in the stock making class. Oil-hardening hex stock, heat, beat, grind, polish, harden, polish again, draw to desired color. I am still using them today.

A good friend of mine was in the gunsmithing program at Trinidad State Jr College in 1977. You might have met him, Dennis Koenig. I spent a couple of weeks with him and his family up Burro Canyon hunting black bear with a black powder rifle.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline paulitus

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2021, 08:50:23 PM »
Did not know him, but know burro canyon. There were lots of bears around Trinidad back then, still are.