Author Topic: July rifle and smoothbore matches are a go - prizes now listed  (Read 2997 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Re: July rifle and smoothbore matches are a go - prizes now listed
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2021, 11:11:24 PM »

Just glad to post a target….went this morning. 62 cal…85 Grains FF…Bare .600 ball..mink lubed felt wad. Ghost ring mounted on the rear tang screw.
I'm glad that you had a chance to post a target.  13 is a decent score . If your your group was shifted just a tad up and to the left .... :)   

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2021, 12:25:20 AM »
Well, well well! If you are going to shoot at squirrel distance I have learned this month to use a rifle that is zeroed in at 25 yards. All my flintlocks have sights set at 75 to 100 yards. I went out with my Don Bruton built .32 caliber "Mathew Gillespie" re-creation rifle and shot all my sets of targets. It was cool that morning (2 weeks ago) with no breeze and I just got my new prescription glasses. Most of the targets looked just everyone else but I got just plain stupid lucky on two of them and even luckier that one was a 2 - hole target and one was a 3 - hole target. They all look like 5's to me  for a score of 25 points. I have included close up pictures to prove that on each target there are actually 2 ball holes in one hole making a sort of figure 8. This is not great shooting (well it sort of is) but real lucky hits.
.32 caliber Flintlock "poorboy"
35 Grains of GOEX 3F
.310 Hornady round ball
.017 ticking patch with T.O.T.W. mink oil/grease
2008 f.p.s.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline alacran

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2021, 01:05:23 AM »

I thought I would go shoot the smoothbore this morning. The top two targets were shot using 70grains of Goex 2f, .600 ball, Jo Ann's pocket drill bear lube.
The bottom two targets were shot with 85 grains Dupont 1f, everything else the same. Curly Gostomski barrel.
I scored the top two a 19 and a 20 the bottom two a 21 and a 22. The morning started in bright sun and was cloudy and raining by the time I got to the fourth target.
No rear sight.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:15:27 AM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline alacran

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2021, 02:22:53 AM »
Good shooting Muskrat. You keep getting better with that rifle..
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2021, 03:01:02 AM »
take a look under contemporary rifles for the new Mike Miller rifle I just bought.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2021, 03:42:53 AM »
take a look under contemporary rifles for the new Mike Miller rifle I just bought.
I saw that .  Lucky guy !   That is a real hunting gun IMO

Offline Maven

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2021, 04:30:09 PM »
Most impressive targets, alacran & mm!
Paul W. Brasky

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2021, 08:47:34 PM »
Well, the July matches are now closed, and the winners are Muskrat Mike [ rifle] and Alacran [ smoothbore]    Fabulous shooting !    I think I still have your addresses, but just to be sure , just message them to me and I'll send your prizes out via mail on Tuesday , since Monday is a holiday here.   
Thanks to everyone who participated , even if you didn't end up posting a target.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2021, 09:03:01 PM »
Bob: message sent
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire