Author Topic: Building a carved and decorated Kibler colonial rifle FINISHED  (Read 18880 times)

Offline elkhorne

Re: Building a carved and decorated Kibler colonial rifle FINISHED
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2022, 12:42:29 AM »
Dave,
Another piece of high artistry! You did a beautiful job with the “kit” just being a jumping of place to start your embellishment and grand design. I love the way you used the wire to complement the carving design. Thank you for all the tips you shared and you particularly emphasize the need to “oblong” the barrel pin holes to accommodate the pins shifting with humidity changes. Thank you for sharing your work, artistry and building expertise with all of us on the forum.
elkhorne

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2022, 04:59:00 AM »
Besides riflers I use these...backing is balsa with Scotch double sided tape and different grades of paper. I use a belt sander to shape as needed and the soft balsa dos not ding or mar the wood carving

Cheers Richard

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2022, 03:20:27 PM »
Hi,
Thank you all for your comments.  This is an old thread but I am glad folks still enjoy it.  Bill, the barrel finish is just instant Super Blue rubbed back.  I degrease the barrel, then swab on the bluing as evenly as I can.  Once it all turns dark blue-black, I begin rubbing it back with green or maroon Scotch Bright pads. I just keep rubbing back until I get the  level of "tarnish" I desire.  Then I wipe the barrel with oil and rub it "dry" with a rag.  Finally, I put a coat of Renaissance wax on it and am done. I believe Jim Kibler posted a video on You Tube showing how he finishes his barrels.

Hi Richard,
I use sanding sticks like that as well.  They are very useful.

Hi Rolf,
I like the rifflers for carving.  I often have to go back and smooth curves because the neurological damage in my fingers sometimes makes it tough to cut smooth curves out right.  So I have to go back over them with the rifflers, which I find easier to use for that purpose than chisels.  Fortunately, with engraving metal, the control of the hand graver is from my palm, not fingers and that helps a lot.  I am very slow when I use a hammer and chisel graver, which is one reason I use a Lindsay Airgraver for any detail work when engraving. 

dave 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2022, 07:58:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics from start to finish.  What a gorgeous rifle!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling