Author Topic: Building a carved and decorated Kibler colonial rifle FINISHED  (Read 18908 times)

Offline Marcruger

Re: Building a carved and decorated Kibler colonial rifle
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2021, 08:41:01 PM »
Fancy Dave.  Thank you for taking us along on this ride. 

I was in the Vogler shop at Old Salem NC once and the builder had a longrifle stained yellow.  It was an eye-opener.  He explained the yellow allowed him to see imperfections, and disappeared under the AF staining process.  Made sense to me. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2021, 01:46:26 AM »
Hi,
I started on the wire inlay.  The scene within the cheek piece carving will be a brass sun face surrounded by brass wire rays.  Then there will be silver clouds partly blocking the sun.  It will have a naïve folk art style.  First, I removed the inlays.  I drilled the holes for the pins that will permanently attach them and used the holes to pop them out with an awl.  I glued them to wood for engraving.

It'll engrave them and then after permanent installation, I'll touch up the engraving with them on the rifle. 

Here is the penciled design.

Every time I drew clouds they looked like floating dog *^*%$ but I kind of like them so floating dog *^*%$ it is. :D

I am starting out with 0.013" thick fine silver wire.  That is quite thick but I want that width for the upper edges of the cloud, which represents the area most in the sunlight.  The rest of the inlay will use 0.008-0.006 sterling ribbon.  My goal is the fine silver will be bright white providing a bright halo effect around the edges of the clouds while the more gray colored sterling will actually provide a bit of shading. I wrestled with using engraved silver inlays for the clouds.  My plan is if I am not happy with the silver wire, I can dig it out and inlay solid silver sheet over the incised cuts.

My wire inlay tools are simple.  I use incise chisels made from hack saw blades.  Many folks use curved gouges and flat chisels for stabbing in the designs.  Frank Barlett used sharpened screw drivers.  I cannot work effectively with those tools for this task.  I need to huddle over the work and have short handled tools that I can place with precision. 

I have some special pliers that help me a lot.  They form different diameter curves in the metal ribbon before I insert them in the wood.

When the ribbon is placed in the incised cut, you need sharp flush cut pliers to snip it off to length.

Then just tap it in with a hammer.

I'll show cleaning it up and finishing it off in the next post.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 04:01:00 AM »
I love following this stuff.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2021, 11:31:29 PM »
Hi,
I finished the sun and clouds wire inlay.  The wire ribbon used on most original long rifles was pretty thick stuff.  You can get 0.014" and 0.008" thick sterling silver and brass ribbon from MBS.  However, I prefe much thinner stuff for finer work and especially on British guns.  So I buy silver sheet 0.005-0.006" and cut my ribbons.  I just scribe a line marking out a ribbon 1/16"-3/32" wide and cut it with shears.

Of course it comes out in a curly cue shape that has to be straightened out so I draw it between two coarse files pinched together.

I am using 0.006" thick sterling for the small cloud.  I incise a section and then shape and tap in the wire.

When working with closely spaced parallel lines or converging lines, I find it is best to incise one section, tap in the wire and then incise the parallel or converging line. The reason is the wire in place acts as a support for the thin wood left in place preventing it from getting chipped out when you incise the second line.  After the wire is tapped in place I wet the stock with water to swell the wood and lock the wire in place.  Then I dress off the excess height of wire with files and sand paper.  If you are using fine silver, which is soft, use care when dressing it off because it can sort of smear creating a fuzzy look.  Use fine files and with fine silver, try to file along its length rather than across.  I engraved the sun face and permanently attached it to the stock with epoxy and a tiny counter sunk brass screw in the middle.  Then I dressed off the screw head and touched up the engraving.  Finally, I added the brass wire sun rays, cleaned it up and it was done.

dave

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2021, 11:35:11 PM »
"When working with closely spaced parallel lines or converging lines, I find it is best to incise one section, tap in the wire and then incise the parallel or converging line. The reason is the wire in place acts as a support for the thin wood left in place preventing it from getting chipped out when you incise the second line."

Exactly what Mark Silver told me. 

I really like the sun and clouds.  That came out really nice. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Spalding

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2021, 11:37:55 PM »
Wow, I’m really enjoying this thread. Beautiful work.

Bob

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2021, 11:56:46 PM »
Dave, you continue to amaze with your work and artistic creativity.  Can't wait to see the finished gun.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2021, 12:39:56 AM »
Hi,
Finished the wire work on the cheek piece side.  I added some fine silver wire to thicken the front edges of the small cloud, which gives it a little more mass and a bright edge reflecting sunlight. I more or less copied a Moravian star on one of Christian Oerter's rifles but did it in wire rather than solid silver.  The wire matches his engraving.  I am going to put some wire on the patch box side, then finish all the carving.  Since the owner lives in Florida, maybe I'll do a hurricane scene, or the Little Mermaid from Disney World, or some old guy playing golf. ;D  After that, stain.

dave
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 12:45:30 AM by smart dog »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2021, 12:41:52 AM »
Fearless. Very cool design.
Andover, Vermont

Offline yip

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2021, 01:19:56 PM »
  smart dog that is one great looking rifle, great craftsmanship!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2021, 02:41:30 PM »
 Dave you are truly an artist, a Master.

Tim

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2021, 05:50:03 PM »
Hi,
Thanks guys.  This is fun!

dave

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2021, 06:26:32 PM »
Dave, really enjoying being with you on this trip.  Your work is quite inspiring to all of us.
I had been wondering why I had a bunch of 22-ga fine silver wire, and now I know.  By combining the thicker wire with the fine ribbon, you create a great illusion of depth.
Keep going , Mr. Artist!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2021, 09:13:25 AM »
Nice work Dave,
I was wondering about the special pliers for bending different radii.  Are those commercially available or are they altered from other available pliers?
Also can you show another view of the flush cut kippers?

Thanks
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 12:40:18 AM »
Hi,
Jeff, here are some photos of the flush clippers. 

I bought them from Rio Grande jewelry supply.  They work extremely well as long as you keep them sharp.  The flat face ca be honed on stones or diamond laps and the angled facets inside can sharpened with small stones.  I do not use them for anything other than trimming wire inlay.  They make that job much easier.

dave 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2021, 12:55:31 AM »
Hi,
I had a great day doing folk art.  I love the naïve nature of good folk art but I don't like crude.  Crude has no appeal to me whatsoever and good folk art is not crude.  I inlet a brass "comet face" in the tip of the patch box lid. It was a challenge because the lid is thin and fragile at that point.  It just took scary sharp tools, a light touch, and patience. I glued it in place but also riveted it with a tiny brass wood screw.  I drill the hole just large enough so the wood screw threads into the metal inlay. I counter sunk both sides of the hole and peened the end of the wood screw into the counter sink in the brass inlay. I engraved the comet face with a simple folk art depiction of a face.  Then I inlayed silver and brass wire to create the fiery trail of the comet.  I am beginning to carve the details in the carving on the patch box.  The design is Moravian inspired and owes a lot to a rifle by Allen Martin.  When starting to carve details on a rifle, I always start with the wood patch box lid if it has one.  Sometimes I get rusty in my skills because of the long intervals between carving on guns so I figure if I forget stuff or am rusty, I can always make a new wooden lid if I screw it up.  Fixing mistakes on the stock is much more difficult.

dave

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2021, 01:01:43 AM »
 I couldn't even think my way through a motif like you are using much less execute it. Wonderful design, planning and work.

Tim

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2021, 02:22:46 AM »
Hi and thanks Tim,
Remember, Halley's comet made a big showing in 1759 and was a major topic of conversation.  My idea for this and the folk art on the other side is the English influence on many Virginia guns.  Kibler's gun has an English lock and looks a little like some other Virginia made guns of the period. English makers during the mid 18th century occasionally decorated their guns with extensive wire inlay that presented really artistic scenes.  The books by Neal and Back show several examples.  Anyway, I took that idea, translated it into folk art and made it happen.  It is so much fun.

dave   

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2021, 12:30:31 AM »
Thanks Dave for the pix of the nippers.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2021, 01:24:02 AM »
Hi,
The carving is mostly detailed although I will go back over things for final cleanup and any further detailing before stain.  This has been fun.  The stock is mainly good and hard but there are two soft spots that were difficult, right behind the barrel tang and the lower part behind the cheek piece.  Each stock has a personality and this one has mostly really good wood but a few really soft spots.

dave

Offline FDR

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2021, 04:44:28 PM »
Here is a tip. Very sharp nippers and other specialty pliers are available from electronics supply houses.  We use many of the same tools to build printed circuit boards.

Fred

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2021, 06:35:09 PM »
Great Job, this is going to be a real beauty. It is nice to see an outside the box rifle every now and then, especially one this well done.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2021, 07:13:34 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for looking and commenting.  Fred, that was a good suggestion to remember.  Thank you.  I added wire decoration to the sides of the patch box.  I was originally going to do a complete border with some volutes at the base.  However, I decided to simplify it but still jazz it up a little in a way that better complements the lid decoration.  When I inlay straight borders I first incise a line with a carving knife guided by a straight edge.  This assures a "laser" straight line.

Then I use my longest incise cutter to deepen the line for the wire ribbon using the previous incised line as a guide.  This keeps everything very straight.

I used 0.013" thick annealed fine wire for the job but I usually prefer hard or half hard wire for this because it resists bending and is easier to keep straight.  However, the key is the incised line and if that is straight, the soft wire will follow suit.  I just flatten a ribbon of wire by drawing it between 2 files pressed together, cut the length needed and tap it in.

I simply file it off flush filing along the wire rather than across and finishing up with sand paper.  Then I added 3 silver dots to each end using 22 gauge round silver wire cut as 3/8" nails and tapped into predrilled holes.  File and sand flush and I am done.

dave
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 07:21:00 PM by smart dog »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2021, 01:37:46 AM »
Hi,
I just finished a delightful day of finish work on the rifle and adding the last wire inlay (I think).  I added a twisting tendril to the cheek piece carving.

Then I added accents to the carving on the forward end of the cheek piece.  For this design, I used double wire above the carved volutes and anchored in the cheek piece to simulate a thick stem that dives under the carving.  Then single wire diverging from under the carving into a volute and tendril.  It adds a lot to the carving.

On the patch box side, I added the wire border to the lid that I posted previously and then a few accent tendrils to the wrist carving. 

I believe it all fits together nicely.  I don't find wire inlay to be very hard but it does require patience and good procedure.  It really does not require tool skills like carving does.  However, it is all about design and your ability to draw that design on the gun.  Moreover, like incised carving, it is hard to fix mistakes in the incised lines.  A single ribbon of silver or brass wire is a very subtle decoration and often gets lost unless it has other wire near and around it. I am sure many of you start learning to do it tentatively, as I did, a single short strand of wire here, another there, and those single accent wires usually get lost and look like they were not really planned. Often they look like poor lost orphans. Learn to wire inlay well, it is not hard but first learn to draw.  Practice on scrap wood.  A really good exercise is to make a little tablet with your name done in wire inlay.  It is a fantastic practice and you can make something decorative for your family.  Practice straight lines, volutes and scrolls and learn to combine wire into decoration that shows up and makes a statement.  They certainly did that in Europe but Oerter, Rupp, and others did it very well in America. Tomorrow, I do the incised carving under the cheek piece and final finish details.  Then stain.

dave
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 01:42:17 AM by smart dog »

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2021, 04:55:38 AM »
If I was ur client, Id be chomping at the bit to get this beauty.  I hope he sees this and is following along.  The extra effort by you to document with pics and explaining everything is awesome.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:50:49 AM by Keith Zimmerman »