Author Topic: Building a carved and decorated Kibler colonial rifle FINISHED  (Read 18956 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Building a carved and decorated Kibler colonial rifle
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2021, 01:52:17 AM »
David,

Just another example of what a marvelous canvas this Kibler rifle can be for any level of decoration from none to the exceptional version you are creating here.  Outstanding work.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2021, 03:03:14 AM »
Hi,
Thank you Dave!  I think we both know how to paint on this Kibler canvas.  It requires some finesse and skill.  I wanted to show a little more work I did today,  I have to put the gun aside for a couple of days to work on a paper.  I incised carved a design similar to the Edward Marshal rifle below the cheek piece.  However I wanted to modify it it a bit so I checkered the triangular area  under the cheek piece and added dots to each diamond.  Notice how the dots add mass to the design balancing out the mass of the Moravian star.  It is a simple technique but one worth remembering.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2021, 01:23:56 AM »
Hi,
Had a very good productive day, although only a small portion was devoted to gun building.  I was working on a scientific paper that gets my thinking cap going in a different direction.  First, I thought I would show you a cloud picture I took this month that was the inspiration for the wire work behind the cheek piece.  This is what got me thinking and designing the clouds. I translated that feeling from this image into folk art:

I mostly finished detailing the carving around the rear ramrod pipe.  I will come back and clean it up a little more and add a detail or so later.

I scraped and sanded the fore stock to final finish but I decided to add a double line border to the ramrod channel molding. This is a very simple device but it adds a great deal of sophistication to the molding.  I start by using a Gunline 60 degree parallel line cutter to scribe the line.

Then I deepen the line with a Gunline 60 degree single line cutter after which I widen it a bit with a Dembart 90 degree border tool.

The result is a really nice border that enhances the fore stock molding greatly.

Simple borders like this dress up any stock and any engraving.  They are worth learning to do well and if you never do anything more complicated, you will accomplish a lot by just learning to do simple borders.

dave
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 01:27:40 AM by smart dog »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2021, 05:15:29 PM »
Hi,
I finished up the carving and did final scraping and clean up before stain.  It is very important to shine a single source light on the stock at low angles to show up the rough spots and imperfections.  This is critical with light colored woods like maple and cherry.  You will always find spots that you thought were fine that still have rough areas or depressions and scratches.  I used 220 grit sandpaper, a carpet scraper blade and scary sharp skew chisels to clean up.  I also added a few decorative details to highlight some features and fill in other blank spaces.  I added a double line border to the fore arm along with 3 dots, a bit like the wire inlay around the patch box.  I added a cross hatched area at the base of the rear ramrod pipe tang, and a few decorative "V" shaped notches here and there.

I also tested stains on some scrap curly maple.  The last task was to use my flat checkering single cutter and small "V" chisels to go around the edges of the carving and cut very slight incising.  That will make the carving pop.  Also, I fully expect that I will go back after staining and find a few places needing clean up.  I'll clean them up, touch up the stain and then go on to the finish. One disadvantage to the Kibler kit is you don't have any scrap wood from the stock to test stains.  You can use the barrel channel or the inside of the patch box cavity but it is not the same as having a large piece of stock to work with.  I have a lot of good hard curly maple scraps and decided to use those realizing that the Kibler stock may perform slightly differently, slightly I hope.

I mostly use ferric nitrate crystals purchased online from the Science Company and dissolved in water as my stain for maple.  This creates the same chemical solution as what most of you know as "aqua fortis".  Actually, aqua fortis is simply the ancient name for nitric acid (loud water) but most of you think of it as a stain made from iron dissolved in the acid.  Ferric nitrate and water create the same liquid but with much less acidity and it usually works great on woods such as maple and birch.  I used a weak solution of 1 part ferric nitrate crystals to 12 parts water by volume.  However on test wood it was not as orangey red as I wanted.  I wanted to boost the red without significantly darkening the color, which tends to happen if I simply increase the concentration of ferric nitrate.  What works in that case is I add a few squirts of 10% nitric acid solution (purchased with no problems online from the Science Company) to the ferric nitrate stain and a little bit of steel wool.  I let it sit overnight and paint the stock the next day.  This usually gives me a redder color but does not darken the browns that much.  I am not sure why it works differently than simply increasing the concentration of ferric nitrate but it does.  I paint the stock with the stain, let it dry thoroughly, and then blush it with a heat gun.  The stain dries to an ugly gray color but when blushed with a heat gun or propane torch, it turns a nice reddish brown.  After blushing, I neutralize the acid by painting the stock with lye mixed in water.  This not only neutralizes the acidity but turns the color more reddish.     

The result was almost there but I wanted still a little more orangey red.  So I mixed a weak stain from recorcin brown, scarlet, and orange aniline dyes dissolved in water.  I tested it on scrap wood and finally got exactly what I wanted.  Subsequently I painted the stock.  I think it is going to look really good.

I will inspect the stock closely, then put the gun together again to make sure everything fits as it should,  then take it apart and put finish on .  I may wait a few days until we have warm dry weather so I can put the stock outside in the sun. 

dave
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 05:18:55 PM by smart dog »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2021, 05:23:41 PM »
Coming along great. I can see you’re really enjoying being able to focus on the creative aspects.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2021, 07:05:55 PM »
Dave,
It's fun to watch a grand maker like you create something beautiful!
John
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:34:45 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2021, 12:40:39 AM »
Thank you for your time doing this.  It takes a lot of time to explain everything and type it all up.  Great job all around.   Cant wait to see it finished.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2021, 02:08:20 AM »
Hi Keith and thank you.  Yes it does take time to write all this up but much more time is spent on making and posting the photos. I have a fairly efficient process but each post takes some time to do. 

dave

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2021, 05:56:42 PM »
Very nice work, Dave. I like your sharing of your inspiration cloud photos. That makes total sense, and it ties the gun to the natural world we live in.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2021, 06:08:54 PM »
I believe this has been one of the most enjoyable posts I’ve seen yet! Your logic and explanations are beautifully expressed and simple to digest. You’ve turned this plain kit gun into a masterpiece. Thank you for sharing your project.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2021, 01:17:38 AM »
Hi,
Thank you all for your comments, encouragement, and interest.  I appreciate it very much.  Exciting day!  The first coat of finish is always a milestone.  Does the color come out the way you intended?  Well, it did.  The bright directional light does not show it off very well but I think you can get a sense of what the stock will look like.

dave

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2021, 03:49:20 AM »
That one ought to be pretty pleased with itself.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Metequa

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2021, 08:31:14 PM »
Beautiful!

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2021, 01:11:37 AM »
Any more pics of the completed and finished gun?

Offline mountainman

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2021, 02:17:59 AM »
That's a Beautiful Rifle!!!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2021, 02:24:33 PM »
Hi and thanks folks,
Keith, no new photos for a while unless you want to see images of finish drying, kind of like watching grass grow or paint dry.  I did add some bone black shading and engraved my name and shop on the barrel.

dave

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2021, 03:45:02 PM »
Your work on the rifle looks fantastic. Love the inlays and wood finish.
I find it very interesting from a creative point of view how versatile Jim's kit is for people to personalize the rifle and end up with a very attractive unique piece.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2021, 03:49:02 PM »
Well done and very attractive.  I really like seeing someone take one of the Kibler kits and customizing it this way.  It really shows the potential of one of the kits. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2021, 04:02:24 PM »
Dave,
I have been watching you for the whole build.  Really nice job of building, and just as important , great teaching job as well.  No need for me to comment any more every one else has said it all.   Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

David Price

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2021, 05:33:09 PM »
Golly, Dave, when I grow up, I'd like to be just like you.  ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2021, 05:40:28 PM »
Golly, Dave, when I grow up, I'd like to be just like you.  ;D

Hi Tom,
No you don't, I f@rt a lot.

dave

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2021, 05:49:38 PM »
Hi Dave,
It is so good to hear from you, thanks.  I hope all is well in Contoocook.  Pretty soon we are going to welcome another good maker to Vermont and New England, Rich Pierce.  He won't be too far from you.  Take care and stay safe.

dave

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2021, 06:08:28 PM »
Hi Folks,
I meant to mention something previously and forgot.  A common apprehension expressed in posts on the forum is the author is not an artist.  Art is really not that mysterious and it can be guided by some easily understood rules and guidelines.  Think of the "golden mean" for example or rules of perspective and proportion.  On this rifle I applied a guide I often use for some of the wire inlay.  Look at the wire attached to the carving in the photos below.   

Note that I often use 2 strands, one that tends to conform to the carving, and one that goes its own way.  It is kind of a "ying yang" thing, order versus chaos, and it draws your eye.  Now look at the wire wrapping around the carving to the rear of the cheek piece.  It starts out kind of conforming to the carving by weaving along it and then at the bottom, it disconnects and curls upward and out, opposite the direction of the carving.  Again, kind of an order versus chaos thing.  Too much order is not emotionally inspiring and too much chaos is incoherent. A nice mix of both is very appealing.  That tug of war between order and disorder, and symmetry and asymmetry is one of the secrets to rococo design.

dave

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:11:51 PM by smart dog »

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2021, 03:58:13 AM »
Well Dave, Im sure u could make paint drying and grass growing very interesting.  Just amazing. 

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2021, 06:12:55 PM »
  Excellent work... true Masterpiece indeed...