Author Topic: South Carolina Rifles - How Are They Identified?  (Read 4423 times)

Offline RobertS

Re: South Carolina Rifles - How Are They Identified?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 06:15:24 PM »
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=66702.msg669996;topicseen#msg669996

This is a link to a John Murphy rifle discussed on this forum a while back, probably the same one mentioned above, and it was one of my all-time favorite threads.  I read and reread it numerous times.  I'm glad to see the interest in SC rifles, as my family has deep roots there, and I suspect most southern families do. 

Offline AZshot

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2023, 03:56:49 PM »
I just got a D. T. Peden (see other post) and it also has an oblong tang like the Briggs/MESDA rifle.  I'm wondering if that is a SC feature?

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2023, 04:38:31 PM »
.65 caliber

Offline AZshot

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2023, 03:34:34 AM »
Thanks for showing that one.  I wonder what that little hatch in the buttstock toe was for?

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2023, 06:35:17 AM »
Those little compartments usually hold percussion caps.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2023, 05:42:32 PM »
Pheosalas Bell was a gunsmith in Polk County, Tennessee. Polk County is in the Southeast corner of Tennessee. I recall reading somewhere that Pheosalas Bell was from South Carolina. Of the two P. Bell rifles I have, the earlier of the 2 has distinct East Tennessee features, the 2nd is a late gun and is very generic.  He seems to have used used the same stock template/pattern; and his "student" JGW (Wallace) also used the same template, as all of their guns have an almost exact same stock outline. Is anyone familiar with P. Bell's work or knowledge of his SC origins?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 05:53:38 PM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320