Author Topic: Flintlock longrifle cleaning  (Read 7003 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Flintlock longrifle cleaning
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2021, 07:16:17 AM »
Bluenoser,

I'm making up a half dozen of these magnetic flush tubes now for some friends and will offer a couple of them via Dennis as a donation to the ALR site.  To answer your question, you cannot drill this type of rare earth magnet but you can buy them with a hole through the middle.  When I get these few flush tubes made up I will post the parts I used and what parts I had to make here in this thread.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2021, 07:58:39 AM »
I did not see anything helpful in that video, Hutch. Sorry.
I do not have to clean the gun, expect at home, after shooting for the day.
No cleaning during shooting, whether shooting patched ball, paper ctgs., or wadded shot loads in a smoothbore - no cleaning while shooting - period!
If you have to clean while shooting, you are doing something that destroys accuracy, and/or patterns.
I go to the range to shoot, not to clean my gun.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hutch

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2021, 03:39:00 PM »
I did not see anything helpful in that video, Hutch. Sorry.
I do not have to clean the gun, expect at home, after shooting for the day.
No cleaning during shooting, whether shooting patched ball, paper ctgs., or wadded shot loads in a smoothbore - no cleaning while shooting - period!
If you have to clean while shooting, you are doing something that destroys accuracy, and/or patterns.
I go to the range to shoot, not to clean my gun.

It wasn't intended to be done during shooting.  Just happened to be done at the range instead of at home. 

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2021, 07:01:18 PM »
davec2
Thanks for the reply.  I look forward to seeing the parts list.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2021, 10:23:40 PM »
Bluenoser,

I did get in touch with Dennis (he is currently at the CLA show) and he will be posting two of the magnetic flush tubes that I made up for sale in the next couple of days.  The proceeds will go to ALR. More to follow......
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline duca

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2021, 10:29:30 PM »
 Well, I must say I’m impressed with the magnet and Silicone gasket tape. Cleaned my rifle twice with this set up with no leaks. Thanks for posting this idea. I’ve been using the round toothpick For so long but sometimes would have a leak. This really worked.

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2021, 02:48:49 AM »
davec2
I am very impressed.  Is it a rare earth magnet and where did you find one with a hole in it, or can they be drilled?

I found them on Ebay, got a stack of them--and it's great fun unstacking them.  I bought them to use as a temporary peep sight, and just magnets with a convenient mounting point. But will be using one on the touch hole next time I clean my gun. Toothpick is second chair now.
Hold to the Wind

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2021, 05:06:02 AM »
Wade,

Yes, in all my enthusiasm about a magnetic flush tube I forgot how i started out on my original post.  One of these magnets without a hole and a thin gasket is my "go to" method of plugging the touch hole for cleaning....WAY better than a toothpick.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2021, 06:46:19 AM »
Dave, for those of us that don't get drawn are you making these for sale?

Or could you post the source and part numbers to build one ourselves?

Thank you!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2021, 07:35:00 AM »
Martin,

I just sent a note to Dennis to up the number I will donate for sale to ALR from 2 to 4.  But if you don't end up with one of the four, I can ether sell one directly to you or get you a list of parts if you want to assemble your own.

Bluenoser.....same info for you... ;)
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline ADK Bigfoot

• Starting Member
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2021, 08:43:56 AM »
Dave:

I would like to purchase one of these when you make up more.  I have a .45 lefty flintlock wth no removable liner and no relief cut on the stock to allow the clamp on type.  This is just what I need.

ADK Bigfoot

Offline JLayne

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2021, 12:35:57 PM »
Dave,
I am  signed up for the drawing as well, but would also be interested in purchasing one directly from you if I don’t end up getting picked to purchase one of the four.

Thank you.
Jay

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2021, 10:00:47 PM »
Thanks Dave,
I am a recent convert to the magnet over the touch hole trick and see this being the next step.  I expect to receive magnets later in the week and will make the other components on the lathe.  The magnets are 1/2" OD x 1/8" ID x 1/4" thick.
Thanks again for posting this great idea.

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2021, 11:46:24 PM »
Dawn dish soap

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2021, 02:10:05 PM »
"Dawn dish soap"

Nhgrants, I saw your post here.  Were you referencing cleaning with Dawn? 

I tried a little in my cleaning water, and ended up with a soapy mess frothing from the muzzle.  That deterred me.  I did not use much Dawn at all, mixed in a lot of water.  You've had better results? 

Bob's suggestion on cheap blue windshield washer fluid has worked well for me, as a step up over plain water. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Badenpowell

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2021, 03:55:07 PM »
The "cheap blue windshield washer fluid" gospel has spread amongst the ranks of BPCR shooters as well, in some cases supplanting the earlier Windex with Vinegar excitement.  ;)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2021, 09:29:18 PM »
Blessings to those who can clean a barrel with one or two passes of tow or patches.  I can't.  Not with any rifle I have owned or shot.  More like 20 patches and lots of elbow grease.  I follow Daryl's wet-lube process which helps with cleanup.  Also, I am not using any oddball patch lube either.  It is easier since Bob put me onto blue windshield washer fluid for initial soak and cleanup.  Still takes a lot of patches. 

Maybe I am just fussy about what I consider "clean"? 

Best wishes,    Marc

(+1)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2021, 10:20:36 PM »
In my exprienc1es I could always get the bore clean with one patch WHEN i FLUSHED THE BORE, PUMPING WATER BACK AND FORTH. If I clean any other way it takes about 3 patches. This not including the patches you need to dry the bore and after WD 40 treatment.

Offline duca

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2021, 12:49:36 AM »
I remember reading in one of Sam Fidelas books where he said Bill Large never used water to clean he’s Barrels. But he never said what he used

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...