Author Topic: Refinishing Question  (Read 925 times)

Offline JLayne

Refinishing Question
« on: July 14, 2021, 11:00:00 PM »
I recently got done with my third project which I stained using Kibler's Iron Nitrate and Tannic Acid, and finished with Tried and True. I like the traditional finish so much, that I am considering re-doing the finishes on my first two projects, which were a Kibler Colonial and a Chambers Early York, both stained and finished with Laurel Mtn Forge Stain and Permalyn Sealer (2 coats) and Permalyn Finish (6 coats, rubbed in by hand). Problem is I've never done any refinishing work of any kind, and and worried if refinishing is more likely to make a mess of the earlier projects as opposed to improving them. Assuming I decide to charge ahead, would you recommend using sandpaper and elbow grease to get the remove the Permalyn and LMF, or using a chemical? I have searched on this site for similar threads, but haven't found enough information to build my confidence to move forward as of yet.

Thanks in advance.
Jay

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Refinishing Question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 11:35:35 PM »
Hi,
Start by using scrapers.  They will do 90% of the work without resorting to chemicals.  Then move on to small skew chisels as scrapers for tight corners and finally sand paper.

The old finish on these guns was removed that way and in both cases it only took one work day.

de duplicate

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."