Author Topic: South Carolina, 1835 John Murphy Rifle from Williamsburg County  (Read 4279 times)

Offline Marcruger

Re: South Carolina, 1835 John Murphy Rifle from Williamsburg County
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 09:11:05 PM »
That is fascinating.  Indeed, who would have thought the name plate and patchbox would have stayed the same.  I've gone from never seeing one of those rifles to now having seen two.  Thank you Dana!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 09:53:00 PM »
 ;) ;)... Shelby,.. Hope to get more photos soon, I haven't seen this one in person yet,... will post,...
....... Marc,.. when I got the photos, I knew I had seen that name before,... just couldn't remember where,... and to see two previously unseen guns by the same maker only days apart,.. that's amazing,... !!! ... here is one more photo I missed posting,... (full length pic). hope to have more and specs soon,...

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2021, 02:30:48 AM »
Marc that's a dandy thanks for sharing. I wish one of them still had the trigger guard on it.

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2021, 07:11:44 PM »
What struck me when I first saw it was the similarities to some of the Lexington, Kentucky rifle patchboxes.
Bob

It's the first South Carolina Gun I have seen with a captured lid box. There was some influence from the Lexington/Cumerland schools. 

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2021, 04:23:44 AM »
A SMALL CORRECTION. Earlier I stated that William Bartell mentioned leaving his little rifle with Captain Murphy. After getting back home I found the journals and he was referred to as Mr. Murphy not Captain Murphy. Sorry for the mistake.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2021, 01:44:23 PM »
My sincere apologies to Dr. Whisker for omitting the intended photo here of his excellent work "Gunsmiths of the Carolinas 1660-1870."  I showed the relevant page, but somehow missed posting the cover photo.  This is a much referenced and valued book on southern longrifle makers.  Here is the book.  Best wishes,   Marc