Author Topic: Where to buy Black powder.  (Read 1766 times)

Vestvol

Where to buy Black powder.
« on: July 17, 2021, 06:41:09 PM »
I just finished my 1st flintlock and I’m anxious to shoot, however, I can’t find powder anywhere. Also I’ve built a 50 cal so was intending to buy 3f both for the load and the pan is that ok?

Offline Daryl

Re: Where to buy Black powder.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 07:40:30 PM »
Graffs - shipped to your door.
TOTWolf
& Buffalo Arms to name 3 in the States.

It's more difficult in Canada.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline prairieofthedog

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 07:50:53 PM »
Grafs is a excellent place to buy, Just buy enough it makes it worth your while,cause you have to pay Hazmat Fee. It is the same wether  you buy one pound or fifteen 

Offline Maven

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 08:07:43 PM »
Very pleased with Graf & Sons as well.  Also, their own brand of BP is now made by GOEX and is quite good + it saves you some cash into the bargain.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 09:40:05 PM »
Maine Powder House has free shipping on 25# orders and is less $ than Graf

https://mainepowderhouse.com/

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 10:22:45 PM »
This is not about powder availability but about a fellow black powder shooter and champion whose name is Helmut Mohr in Mayen/hausen Germany. He has or may HAD a shop and it was right ON the Nette River which is a small  but fast moving stream that powered a water driven dynamo that furnished the power for his shop and yesterday the Nette flooded the town and i suspect it may have done away with his machine shop and muzzle loader business.It was flooded in 2016 and according to the news services THIS flood is far more destructive than the last one.He builds pistols and rifles and sells a full line of parts for muzzle loading guns and most of it comes from the USA and came to Friendship for years to shoot,socialze and buy items for his shop and gunmaking.I furnished a lot of locks for 2 lines of pistols and Swiss style locks and triggers for Schuetzen rifles both ball and bullet types.I helped him from about 1980 until 2014. He has many friends in this fraternity and I wonder if anyone has heard from him here.
Bob Roller

Offline Jerry

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 04:54:49 AM »
Friendship.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 05:28:39 AM »
I have read on here, but never tried myself, that many of these big chain outdoors/guns stores will have it if you ask for it, but never advertise it. And of course they'll have to go into the safe to get it. If you're in an area with such stores, and only want a few pounds that might work for you.  I mail-ordered 10# to get a good price a while back, mail-order and you options increase dramatically with different grades and different makers.  No retail outlet is going to stock as much as the distributors.

YES 3f is dandy in the pan, some of use will use 2f or 3f in the pan-simplifies things.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 07:34:50 AM »
Bob, what I read about Mayen is that the town is flooded, and that it’s worse than 2016.
I do not know about Mohr‘s shop.
As bad as it is, obviously they do not have the real bad damages of other regions where houses, blocks and streets have completely gone and several people died.
As far as I know there has never been a flood like this one and I really hope there will never be another!
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 03:05:55 PM »
TOTWolf

Indeed .   Cabela's lists GOEX FFG as being available for purchase at their Ottawa store.
    Price is $  59.99 per can !!!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 04:55:24 PM »
Bob, what I read about Mayen is that the town is flooded, and that it’s worse than 2016.
I do not know about Mohr‘s shop.
As bad as it is, obviously they do not have the real bad damages of other regions where houses, blocks and streets have completely gone and several people died.
As far as I know there has never been a flood like this one and I really hope there will never be another!

Chris,
Helmut told me about the Nette River and it must move fast enough to run a dynamo/turbine and power a machine shop.
After WW2 and in 1947 when his father came home from a French POW camp they installed this system in what is now his shop.Helmut was only about 8 years old then and maybe 83 now.It has been a problem over the years for him and now it may have taken him out of the muzzle loader business for good.He told me his father made a machine to rebore engines and used the barrels from four 50 caliber machine guns salvaged from an American B17 that landed in the forest near Mayen and he commented on the quality of the steel they were made from.Guenter Stifter told me that he thought the do it
yourself power source made no sense because electricity had been available for years.
   We live in WestVirginia in the Eastern USA and in the Ohio Valley and the Ohio River which is a big one is about 3/4 of a mile North of where I am now sitting as I write this. My home on Monroe Ave is in the large flat part of the valley and was
occupied as a home for the first time in 1906.In 1913 the river came up and water was deep in houses including this one.
Again in 1937 it was even worse and this house has a high water line that intersects the light switch in the front room.
It was THEN that people started demanding something be done to prevent this.The religious faction said "It was the will of God and we learn to live with it" Common sense prevailed and the Corps of Engineers designed and built a fine flood wall that has kept the level part of the city dry since 1943.In 1949 I was 13 and stood on top of the floodwall and spit into river and
that was close.I forrgot to mention we live in Huntington which was the largest city back then in our state.
Thank you for your input on Mayen and the towns harder hit.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 05:02:55 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 05:38:30 PM »
Bob, thank you for the insight!
Where I live at the Northern edge of the Harz Mountains there is only a little creek nearby, but even that one fed a flood in 2017. Since I have no cellar there was no big damage done to my house, which I purchased from Virginia in 2000. The only American home in the neighborhood 😉
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 06:42:57 PM »
Bob, thank you for the insight!
Where I live at the Northern edge of the Harz Mountains there is only a little creek nearby, but even that one fed a flood in 2017. Since I have no cellar there was no big damage done to my house, which I purchased from Virginia in 2000. The only American home in the neighborhood 😉

Chris,
That machine Alfons Mohr built with the 50 BMG barrels was used in engine rebuilding and they were guides for the boring mill and when NO new engines were available that had to be a lucrative shop.Alfons,according to Helmut marched into Paris in 1940 with Field Marshal Rommel.. :(

Bob Roller

Offline Ezra

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 07:03:50 PM »
https://powderinc.com/

https://mainepowderhouse.com/

Both have excellent reputations.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 07:30:53 PM »
TOTWolf

Indeed .   Cabela's lists GOEX FFG as being available for purchase at their Ottawa store.
    Price is $  59.99 per can !!!

Yikes - those are smokeless prices
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Ezra

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 09:34:40 PM »
At our recent Pacific Primitive Rendezvous last month, there was a Master GOEX dealer selling brand new GOEX (all sizes).  Suffice it to say, I stocked up well.  $19/lb.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"