Author Topic: WTB flint rifle  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
WTB flint rifle
« on: July 19, 2021, 02:47:01 PM »
I have a friend who lives in an early 19th century farmhouse in western New Jersey, not far from Easton, PA. He is fitting out the original part of the house with period correct furniture and housewares and he would like to obtain a flint rifle as part of the decor.  Naturally, I offered to help him find something appropriate. The original part of the house is quite modest, so nothing fancy, just a plain working gun.
He isn't interested in shooting it, so I am trying to find an original gun for him. I told him he could probably find something for $1500-$2500, but he might go higher for the right piece. If we can't find an original, he would consider a contemporary.

So, please PM me if you something that might work.

Thanks

Dale H

Offline Roundball74

• Starting Member
Re: WTB flint rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 02:50:09 PM »
This is my rifle I have for sale at the moment:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=66641.0

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 03:00:33 PM »
Thank you. Might be a little too fancy for the farm, but I will show him the pictures. Right area and time period, though. I also sent him the pictures of the fusil you have listed.

Dale H

Offline BobK

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 04:08:07 PM »
I live in NJ and have 2 Tim Williams [ https://williamsflintlocks.com ] rifles. Not old but beautiful and in his price range. A .36 cal Bucks County School and a .50 cal Alexander Walker, VA.  Plus some bags and horns.

If there is an interest I'll take pictures, let me know. 

Good luck finding what he is looking for.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 05:25:12 PM »
The VA rifle would be a stretch but the Bucks County rifle might work. Some pictures would help if you don't mind.

Where are you in NJ?

Thanks

Dale H

Offline John Proud

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 05:30:07 PM »
Dale,

I just sent you a PM.

John

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
Thanks, John. I passed the pictures on.

Dale H

Offline recurve

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 05:53:37 PM »
If all else fails have him go to Dixon's muzzle loader shop just off of 78  in Kempton pa near cabelas(10 miles) he has several org working and wall hangers (even one of mine  ;D ) go with him you will both like the shop  ;D

Offline BobK

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 06:05:01 PM »
recurve's suggestion is a good one.

Here is a description of mine and pictures.
           .36 cal PA Flintlock Rifle, Bucks County [44Ē swamped barrel 59 ľĒ overall]
            This gun was purchased at the 18th Century Artisans Show in Lewisburg, PA on February 4, 2011.
            It was built by Tim Williams from Hedgesville, West Virginia. It is a combination of both an
            Andrew Verner style (1780~1790) and a John Schuler style (1800~1806) rifle. It has a 44Ē Rice
            swamped barrel and a Ditchburn lock. The Thimbles, side plate, nose cap, patch box & springs
            were handmade by Tim in his shop. He also made the silver star and did the inlay silver work. It has some light incised and relief carving. 

I paid $3,000 and that is what I would want.   I live down by 6 Flags, east of Trenton on I-195 I Clarksburg.

Offline BobK

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 07:03:42 PM »
I'd love to sell my rifle but the more I think about it, you and your friend should take a trip to http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com because you will be able to see a variety of newer to older guns, some really beautifully finished and others more primitive. Plus there are loads of accessories that he may be interested in.

Offline wormey

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 08:00:54 PM »
Just go down the list!  Chris Laubauch has a nice original for sale at $950, a bargain by any measure.  Wormey

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 09:27:37 PM »
Tom Hodges has 2 original rifles for sale on the CLA Artisans page. They may both be VA rifles, but would look good hanging!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 10:19:40 PM »
Dale, PM sent your way.
John
John Robbins

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 03:18:49 AM »
I forgot all about Dixon's. I will give them a call and see what they have.

Dale H

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 02:45:55 PM »
I want to thank everyone who responded with offers or suggestions. I have forwarded all of the information to my friend for his consideration and will talk with him soon. May take a few days for a decision.

Thank you

Dale H
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 04:01:05 PM by Dale Halterman »

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 07:47:16 AM »
  I picked up a buck's Co. from a guy that never finished it. If interested I'll finish it in any style you want, new out of shop, aged or heavily aged. It's a 13/16 .45 42in small siler, Davis triggers, brass mounts, curly maple stock. Finish it yourself or I'll finish it for $1,200.00 plus shipping, carving and patch box is extra.
This is cheap and a good wall hanger or take it out to shoot. If interested I can send pictures of the unfinished gun.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 04:05:54 PM »
Check 23 or 24 post down on this site. Chris Lubauch has a fine original rifle that would fit right in . He has it at $ 950.00 . Great buy and an honest untouched gun.
Itís not the size of the dog in the fight, itís the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 05:04:20 PM »
I checked out the rifle Chris has for sale, but my friend wants a flint lock for that time period.

Thanks anyway

Dale H

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 08:46:51 PM »
I think that this rifle has a lock that has been converted from flint to cap lock. A proper reconversion by any number of restorers of longrifles would still be in his price range. And the end result would be exactly what he was looking for. A nice simple original rifle with a finish that was unmolested.
Just my thoughts...!
Itís not the size of the dog in the fight, itís the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline gibster

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 12:16:58 AM »
Dale - Sent you a PM this morning with pictures of an original Lehigh flintlock within your price point.  Let me know if you didn't receive it and I'll resend.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 03:25:12 AM »
RC - hadn't thought of that. Might work.

G - yes,  I got the PM and forwarded the pics to my  friend. Thanks

Dale H

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2021, 05:43:20 PM »
I want to thank everyone who responded with offers and suggestions. We have found a gun and the transaction is in progress. Now, he wants an appropriate bag and horn to complete the kit.

It is fun spending someone else's money.

Dale H