Author Topic: Lehigh Barn Gun Scratch Build  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Daniel Coats

Lehigh Barn Gun Scratch Build
« on: July 19, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »
Pretty gutsy calling it a Lehigh since this is my first one! Had to call it something though to guide questions and comments. I waited until I had all of my components that I'm going to buy before laying out the stock. The web is drawn a little bit thick but I wanted to allow enough wiggle room for the ramrod channel and barrel inlet.

Jim Chambers Golden age flintlock purchased from Pecatonica River.

Curly Maple stock blank, butt plate, and trigger guard purchased from Allen Martin.

B weight .50 caliber barrel 44 inches long purchased from Rice Barrel.

Sheet brass, trigger, trigger plate, rear sight purchase from Tack of the Wolf.

Next picture shows progress so far, have layout on the stock ramrod groove cut and ready to drill. Most of the rough spots taken off the brass castings. Hand tools planned for this build as well same as last time.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 07:14:16 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline rich pierce

• Global Moderator
Re: Lehigh Barn Gun Scratch Build
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 07:22:23 PM »
Great project. Enjoy the ride!
St. Louis, Missouri

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 12:01:41 AM »
 There is another thread, On To The Best Part to me your at that point too. Although as you progress there will be many "Best Parts". Speaking of parts, I wondered; it says "Barn Gun" but then I see a PB and sheet Brass.

Tim

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 12:14:11 AM »
Thanks Tim, Barn gun with a butt plate but plain otherwise. The sheet brass is for making the front sight and the ramrod thimbles and maybe even the barrel loops. Not a schimmel with no butt plate at all sort of a schimmel deluxe.
Dan

Offline yip

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 12:15:55 AM »
  i think dem barn rifles are the cats meow!!!!!!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 12:55:55 AM »
 Look forward to seeing it progress.

Tim

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 02:56:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies, the ramrod hole is drilled full depth now and I can start inletting the barrel as time allows. I will be drilling a pilot hole to determine the exact web thickness hopefully just one hole will do it.
Dan

Offline Not English

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 06:58:39 AM »
Dan, I keep seeing other people drilling their ramrod holes first. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. If the barrel is inlet first it's a simple matter to control the web depth and check the web thickness drilling a pin hole to check. Inletting the barrel first also has the advantage of stiffening up the forestock when the ramrod hole is drilled.

Dave

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 09:10:13 AM »
Thank you Dave great question!

I can only explain what I'm trying to do and that is control both the depth and width of the end of the ramrod hole location. By drilling it first then the barrel can be inlet both up and down and right and left precisely. Might be just fooling myself that I'm controlling that but that is what I'm attempting.  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:24:10 AM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

Offline c deperro

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 12:11:53 AM »

If you install your barrel first . Measure from the of the stock to the barrel and mark on the under side of the stock . Draw a centerline between the breach and muzzle measurements. thats your center line down the barrel.  On the side of the stock mark the bottom of the barrel at the breach and muzzle. Draw a line connecting the two. Mark your web thickness under the barrel line usually
 1/8 to generally not more 3/16 of a inch. Remove your wood for the ramrod channel down to the web line and drill your hole. I use a pc of wood and a clamp to hold the drill tight to the rod channel placed where the bit enters the stock. Further back you run the chance of flexing the bit and will end up with a thick web and possible drill out the bottom of the stock. I you are unsure if you can do this spend the $100 and have someone put it in.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 02:49:32 AM »
Profile cut top and bottom and ramrod groove is cut and hole is drilled. Held a good tolerance top to bottom of 0.010 with a hand saw. Next up will be in letting the barrel.

Dan

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 02:57:58 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but I'm curious about the web thickness on a stock with a swamped barrel inlet.  Is it safe to assume that the web is 1/8, 5/32" or something at the breech and the muzzle, but much thicker than that at the waist?   Obviously you can't have the web follow the swamp of the barrel......Yeah, I guess that's a stupid question, but it's already out there, so I'll leave it. 

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 04:42:42 PM »
There's other builders that address that question better than I can. But, I think the simple answer is the ramrod hole/groove have to be in  alignment to keep the drill bit from binding. I have a 5/16 ramrod so half of that 5/32 is my web thickness average but can be less at the breech as long as there's room for the front lock bolt.

Someone else take it from here. :)
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 07:29:13 PM »
Barrel loop strip forged from 16 gauge steel and folded up. 2 in long and ready to cut into individual pieces. Measures out exactly what I wanted at 5/32 high after inleting to the bottom of the barrel. Bent cold without using heat and will be more than strong enough with the 1/16-in pin.

Got really lucky and nailed it on the first try this time.

Dan

Offline oldtravler61

• Look,listen,learn enough said!
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 08:36:41 PM »
  Daniel I have another dumb question. It appears this is going to be a half stock ? ( just had cataract surgery both eyes.) So cut me some slack lol.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 09:00:00 PM »
  Daniel I have another dumb question. It appears this is going to be a half stock ? ( just had cataract surgery both eyes.) So cut me some slack lol.

It's a full stock with a swamped barrel 44 in long. Of course to be fair this early it could either be a Hawken rifle or a Brown Bess musket LOL ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:39:58 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 11:28:30 PM »
Barrel lugs are on the barrel and will serve as a guide inletting to depth while snugging up to the ramrod groove.

Next picture shows a straight edge laying on the top of the barrel lugs. All of the lugs are 5/32 high but the swamp barrel shows  the breach web will be at 1/8 of an inch. This should go a long way in keeping the rifle slim at the lock area.

The mark on the barrel closest to the breach is the end of the breach plug. The purple mark further out is just forward of where the front lock bolt will go through.
Dan