Author Topic: my half breed  (Read 1752 times)

Offline yip

my half breed
« on: July 19, 2021, 11:09:06 PM »

whats do you guys think?

public image hd
another view
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:15:51 PM by yip »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: my half breed
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 11:54:16 PM »
Are you looking for suggestions?
Andover, Vermont

Offline yip

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 12:12:59 AM »
  just what ja think?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 12:43:30 AM »
  just what ja think?

Looks like a curly maple-stocked flintlock in progress!  I cannot tell right off what your inspiration was. I like the wrist section. I don’t like what appears to be a humped top of the comb coming off the buttplate extension.
Andover, Vermont

Offline yip

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 01:46:27 AM »
  it sure needs a lot of refining i know just wondering if the drops ok, i'm gonna refine just wanted an idea and guiding in the right direction.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 02:27:39 AM »
Yip, Looking pretty good so far.  I agree with Rich about the comb, but you have enough wood left to correct that hump.  I attached a pic below, a poor attempt in Word paint, but it gives you an idea.  I wouldn't make the top comb line flat, but a nice subtle curve from the butt return to the nose, plus that will reduce the height of the nose which I think would also look better for that style of gun.  Another thing I would do is when shaping up the lock panel, I would stretch out the nose and the tail of the panel a bit, maybe 1/8" or so which would add a more slender look to the lock & panel.

On the cheek side. i would try to get the shape to look more sweeping and not so abrupt.  Again I drew some faint lines on your cheekside pic.  For the rear of the cheek simply continue the concave of the cheek into the upward slope of the buttstock plane and you should get the look that I outlined, sort of have to sneak up on it.  Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 02:38:00 AM by TommyG »

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 02:52:52 AM »
I like the progress and feel confident you will refine it a bit as you said. Maybe consider curving the lower profile a bit as well? I like the technique of taking a photograph and then making changes to the photograph before you make the same change To wood and steel, seems like a good approach.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline yip

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 03:42:27 AM »
  i agree with you guys i do have to do more improvements, isee the hump on the comb and to refine the curve at the cheeck rest, these are appreicate the info thanks

Offline RossN

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 07:19:51 AM »
I'd pick the screwdriver up off the floor before you stand on it and end up in a heap.

I'm in a cast recovering from a shoulder reconstruction caused by pretty much exactly that, and it wasn't even my screwdriver.

Offline yip

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 01:42:17 PM »
 well done did it, i was up till 1:00am i hope its all good

Offline flehto

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 02:03:17 PM »
judging from the angle of the buttplate return, both  the hump and comb nose height  can be corrected. A slight curve to the combline adds some interest and I usually curve the toeline a little more  towards the Bplate as per my pic. Your curve ends at  the front of the  cheek piece .....continuing the curve makes the butt less "clubby".. In spite of your affliction, you're doing an excellent job......Fred

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 02:19:25 PM by flehto »

Offline LilysDad

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 02:48:53 PM »
Why do you call it 'half-breed'?

Offline yip

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »
  well fred i took your advise and made the comb a little flater and curved the under side hope i doed it right i'll send some more pic soon.

Offline flehto

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 12:52:45 AM »
Photos are always interesting especially when they're during the build. Building BCs was tricky at first......there weren't any BC Bplates and the closest TG was a Verner from Goehring which needed  changes to the facets and thumbnails added to both the front and rear extensions. The Bplate was a sand casting from Hedgecock and the return had 3 facets which had to be made round and luckily was long enough for a thumbnail, Good luck w/ the changes. .....Fred

Offline yip

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 12:56:57 AM »

well i ope i've done it.   Fred trying to find a t/g that is somewhat connect, where did you et yours?

Offline flehto

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 05:46:07 AM »
The TG I've always used was Reeves Goehring's #47 which is a Verner TG and had to be modified which I explained previously in this topic. His daughter now has the business ....you can try to contact her. Knob Hill supplies has a good BC TG ....a little expensive, but looks  like the real thing. I don't determine the comb drop w/o first having the TG in hand. As a point of interest.....the BC TGs were attached to the stock using  the front lug  and a small dome headed wood screw in the rear extension as shown in the pic....good luck.....Fred 

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:04:01 AM by flehto »