Author Topic: Rear sight issues  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Srkmarine1101

• Starting Member
Rear sight issues
« on: July 21, 2021, 08:16:52 PM »
I noticed my rear site has a gap underneath it. It has slowly been getting looser and looser and it actually fell off the rifle as I was taking out of case yesterday. Any ideas on how I can refit this site to the rifle so it fits tighter?

Thanks!

Offline Tim May

• Starting Member
Re: Rear sight issues
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 09:00:24 PM »
I would tin bottom of sight with
solder and refit to dovetail. Tim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 10:11:22 PM »
I would tin bottom of sight with
solder and refit to dovetail. Tim

Fastest and easiest!

I usually stretch the rear sight by peening with a cross-peen hammer. Then figure out what’s wrong with the dovetail or sight. Probably the corners in the notch are sloped up, not flat with the rest of the mortise. Fix that with a safe edge triangular file. Then file the lengthened sight flat on the bottom and file the 60 degree angle on the forward extension that got stretched and fit it in there. Lots more work than tinning.
Andover, Vermont

Online JPK

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 12:37:55 AM »
Looks like the rear dovetail on the sight isn’t cut in cleanly. That has pushed the rear of the barrel dovetail up rather than the dovetails engaging. Since it’s out check that first.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 01:07:10 AM »
Looks like the rear dovetail on the sight isn’t cut in cleanly. That has pushed the rear of the barrel dovetail up rather than the dovetails engaging. Since it’s out check that first.

Look at the rear of the sight first.
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »

That's what I thought also.I would remove the sight and tap the rear edge of the dovetail down CAE+REFULLY and then CAREFULLY refile the sight to fit.
Bob Roller

Offline Srkmarine1101

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 03:49:28 PM »
Excellent. Thanks for the help. I will go VERY slowly with this!

That's what I thought also.I would remove the sight and tap the rear edge of the dovetail down CAE+REFULLY and then CAREFULLY refile the sight to fit.
Bob Roller