Author Topic: Mountain Arms Hawken  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Longone

Mountain Arms Hawken
« on: July 22, 2021, 09:22:19 PM »
Just had an opportunity to look at a Mountain Arms Hawken in 54 cal. From what I read here it was the original company before changing hands and being called Ozark Mountain Arms. The pics I’ve seen here all seem to have a steel nose cap, this one appears to have a pewter cap. When we pulled the barrel I was expecting to see a number or perhaps initials from the assembler, there were none. The forend did have three round areas about 1/4” around at the nose cap, could that be how the cap was poured from inside the barrel channel?
It is an 8 groove barrel, might anyone know the most likely maker ? Overall it’s a nice rifle with a clean bore.

Thank you, Longone

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Mountain Arms Hawken
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 08:07:16 PM »
When one pours a pewter nose cap, one often drills and countersinks several holes into the barrel channel.  These anchor the nose cap to the wood.  Nose caps are not poured from inside the channel.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Longone

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 10:28:40 PM »
Thank you for that information. With that being the case then this Mountain Arms Hawken has a pewter  nose cap. I would guess it’s an early production rifle with them changing over to cast steel parts as production increased.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 04:09:22 PM »
Cast pewter nosecaps were popular on Hawkens in the 70s & 80s, so I don't think you can make any inferences from that characteristic. You might look at the bottom of the barrel & see if it is dated. Ozark Mt. Arms made good rifles from good parts back in the day. I hope you thoroughly enjoy yours.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 04:11:23 PM »
They are excellent rifles. I have an Ozark Mountain in .58 cal.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320