Author Topic: replacement lock  (Read 2014 times)

Offline sghart3578

• Starting Member
replacement lock
« on: July 23, 2021, 07:59:38 PM »
Hello neighbors,

I have a 36 cal percussion rifle made by Wilderness Rifle Works.  I would like to convert it to a flintlock.  It may be a longshot but would any of you guys know a replacement lock that would work?  I don't know who made this lock.  I can't find any markings.

Thanks for your time,

Steve in N CA

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: replacement lock
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 08:19:02 PM »
 That looks like a modified Siler percussion. Try a large Siler flint.

Hungry Horse

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 08:23:07 PM »
If you have a Track of the Wolf catalog, you can see actual size pictures of many locks that would allow you to compare the lock plates to the lock mortise inlet into your current stock.  Could be very helpful.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 09:13:12 PM »
It looks like a Siler to me too and if it is you could inlet a new Siler flintlock with a small amount of work at the tail end of the plate.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 05:26:43 PM »
I agree. But if the above suggestions don’t work, I’d call L&R and ask if you send the lock to them would they take a look at it and let you know if they can supply a replacement.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 05:56:56 PM »
Don’t send it to L&R.  Use a Chambers Siler if you want a reliable lock.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 06:12:39 PM »
Before you buy one make sure that the pan will line up where drum screws into the barrel. Otherwise you will have a problem getting the vent hole to properly lineup with the pan.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline sghart3578

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 09:35:40 PM »
Thank you every one for your help.

I agree that a Track of the Wolf catalog is the way to go.  Unfortunately they seem to be out of print.

Used ones are available on Ebay but the newest one is from 1997.

Thanks again,

Steve in N CA

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 09:57:16 PM »
Buy a Chamber's " Gun maker's lock "   It's a Siler with a rectangular plate waiting to be shaped as per your needs.  All you would require is perhaps a hacksaw , some files and some patience.
I'm 99% sure this would work for you.  Our , you could always try to go to a muzzleloading match/ club or get together. It's almost certain that someone there would have a Siler lock on a gun and you could compare it to yours

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 10:43:40 PM »
Thank you every one for your help.
I agree that a Track of the Wolf catalog is the way to go.  Unfortunately they seem to be out of print.
Used ones are available on Ebay but the newest one is from 1997.
Thanks again,
Steve in N CA

Save the images of the locks off the TOW website.  Print them to the size stated in the description. 

IF you have to make them print a different size I use MSPAINT.  You can scale the image by percentage.  Print one, figure how far off you are.  Scale the image accordingly, repeat until you have it right. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 10:46:48 PM »
 Oh, for heaven sake! The percussion lock you have has a flat spot on the bottom edge, that is Siler specific. The tail of the lock has been rounded, so with very little extra inletting a flint Siler should drop in. Why does everybody have to overthink everything.

Hungry Horse

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 12:35:17 AM »
Please refer to reply #3

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 03:59:52 PM »
Steve, I see you signed as "Steve in N CA"

Is that northern California or North Carolina? If it is North Carolina where specifically are you?

Dale H

Offline sghart3578

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 07:40:00 PM »
Steve, I see you signed as "Steve in N CA"

Is that northern California or North Carolina? If it is North Carolina where specifically are you?

Dale H

Hello Dale,

I live in Northern California.  I wish it was North Carolina.

Steve

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 11:15:00 PM »

Offline sghart3578

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 11:28:57 PM »
Thank you Scota4570.  All of you guys have given me a lot to chew on.  I think that I will remove the lock and send it to the Log Cabin Shop or some other friendly place to see what their opinion is.  If I go that route I will keep you posted.

Steve in N CA

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2021, 11:50:07 PM »
If you remove the lock, you might post a picture of the interior of the lock here. Might jog someone's memory.

Dale H

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 01:54:51 AM »
I'll swear that by looking at the shape of the triggers and the front of the trigger guard and the lockplate, I would bet 5 dollars against a stale donut that THAT rifle is a modified Pedersoli Frontier made by Wilderness.  They rounded the back of the Frontier's lock to make it look different.  I have a Frontier lockplate and I'll check to see if the screws are the same.  The hammer and triggers are definitely Pedersoli.  So you should be able to use an L&R RPL replacement lock for a Pedersoli Frontier/Blue Ridge.  I'm going downstairs and take some pictures of a partial Pedersoli Lock.

Bob

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 02:01:19 AM »
The sear and bridle screws are in a different spot on the Pedersoli.  But that "36 Cal" marking on the barrel looks like the markings on the 80's "Hatfield" Rifles.  Seems to me Wilderness Rifle Works made a similar rifle to a "Hatfield" using Pedersoli parts  just before Pedersoli took over and called it the Frontier?

Bob

Offline sghart3578

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 02:08:29 AM »
Bob,

It could be.  The stock is certainly reminiscent of a Frontier rifle.

Steve

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 06:18:36 AM »
Here is the best pic I could come up with of the caplock on a Pedersoli Frontier/BlueRidge that I used to have. Looks the same as the o.p. lock except for the finish. Compare also the atachment of the hammer,, much different between the o.p./Pedersoli and the Siler. Also note the trigger guard mounted onto the wood instead of being inlet.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 06:43:33 PM »
This might work....might. 
https://www.lr-rpl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98:hatfield-model-06-flintlock&catid=36:cva-small&Itemid=62

Otherwise you can use the one with the blank lock plate. 
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/724/4/LOCK-OG-FL-RH

I replaced a blue ridge (hatfield) lock because it worked poorly.  The one I used I think, was the blank lock plate.  It is not so hard to do.  Make a pattern to fit the mortice. Work slowly.  A couple of headless lock bolts will be handy to shape the plate correctly. 

If it is a blue ridge-hatfield variation, another consideration is how is the breech plug and drum made.  My hatfield  had a super long threaded plug with a 22 cal hole down the middle.  The liner went in the side of the threads.  I do not know how the cap guns were done.  I suspect the same.  Converting to flint may require a liner with an odd thread.  The long convoluted flash channel caused unreliable ignition.