Author Topic: Kibler ITW ?  (Read 2906 times)

Lslite

Kibler ITW ?
« on: July 23, 2021, 08:33:35 PM »
As best I can tell from his website,'in the white' option for one of his kits is $700 extra.Am I correct ?

Offline Scota4570

Re: Kibler ITW ?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 09:09:04 PM »
call them.

Offline DrLaw45

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 09:09:26 PM »
Yes, completely put together. You have to finish the barrel, other metal, and stock. $700.00 extra for that.

But why do that? Build it yourself. I'm not a pro, but I built a great gun from the kit.

The Doc is out now.  8)

Stumpfre

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 11:12:42 PM »
All
I had a colonial built in white and all assembled and all metal parts were polished and the barrel was draw filed too.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 12:51:46 AM »
You can easily put these kits together in a day. All the work is done for you except draw filing the barrel and cleaning up the metal which only takes a few hours. You can sand and stain the stock in an hour. The metal or brass parts clean up quickly.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 02:15:09 AM »
Good option for some that lack the time or skill but would like to put their own finish on one.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Metequa

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 05:03:30 PM »
Not too much trouble to assemble the kit, but if your not comfortable then having them put it all together is a nice option to have.

oldhunter1954

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 01:57:33 PM »
The kibler Colonial in 54 cal was my very first build. He has videos of each part that needs to be done to finish the gun. His work is amazing. if you have basic skils with hand tools you can finish a Kibler kit.

all pictures in one frame online

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 02:13:52 AM »
The kit guns from whoever have made it possible for those who don't have an equipped shop,a lot of skill and little experience these various kits are A BIG HELP. Study them and the placement and function of various parts and you will see it is not a high tech rifle and will help slow down the pace of life as it involves guns.One of my German friends told me years ago he liked to shoot his muzzle loaders on a range owned by what was then West Germany.He compared the light "crack" of the flint lock to the ferocious sound of an MG42 spewing 1500 shots a minute!.
Get the kit you want and study as long as needed before taking up the tools to start the finishing of this American marvel.
Bob Roller

Offline DavidC

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 07:08:54 PM »
The kits are great when you want a quick build to get straight to practicing carving and other decorative elements. I'm personally still a bit scared of carving into a stock when I've already spent over 100 hours on the project. A kibler kit can drop that time to a weekend, a week or two of carving drawing, and then as long as you want to carve and decorate.

Even if you just finish the kit plainly it still feels more original and 'real' than a pedersoli off the shelf.

Bob, you're becoming a real philosopher with age.

Online Frozen Run

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 07:43:40 PM »
The kits are great when you want a quick build to get straight to practicing carving and other decorative elements.

He sells practice kits. I don't think botching up a perfectly good gun is a good place to learn decorative carving.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 07:52:28 PM »
You can take your ITW kit to a class that Mike Brooks is teaching in July of next year at Friendship and get hands on attention from a master. I believe that cost is going to be in the neighborhood of $500.00. Heck of a deal for 5 days of expert training. I’ll be coordinating for the class so you can shoot me a personal message.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 11:00:32 PM »
The kits are great when you want a quick build to get straight to practicing carving and other decorative elements.

He sells practice kits. I don't think botching up a perfectly good gun is a good place to learn decorative carving.

That is what I did.  Holding the casting of the carving helps.  I did half a dozen of Jim's example carving as practice.  The home center has 1x6 maple to practice with.  After my confidence grew I did the rifle, and later another.  Both came out well. 

The key to early carving efforts for me was to do simple but do it right.  Complex and shoddy is not so good for my eyes.  My first effort was an Armstrong.  It is OK but definitely has an "apprentice" look about it. 

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 11:43:38 PM »
I think it would be more important to put a forestock moulding, lower butt moulding and lock moulding on before any other carving. After that, any other carving will be similar to do.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 03:01:13 AM »
As someone who started this flintlock shooting and building journey some 40 years ago, here is my perspective. First, I live in Canada and do not have access to a whole lot of original rifles. I shot in a lot of matches, but back even 30 or 20 years ago the guns being used weren't really copies of anything you'd call an original school. Lots of Hawkens, and Pedersoli long rifles, CVA etc etc.
Books are great to learn from, but the Chambers or Kibler kits give you a nice starting point ie what the rifle or gun is supposed to look like. Great to learn from.