Author Topic: Kibler lock interchangeably  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Hutch

Kibler lock interchangeably
« on: July 24, 2021, 12:42:19 AM »
Good evening

I'm looking at doing a pecatonica southern mountain kit.  The plan was to have them just do the barrel channel and ramrod and leave the rest.  I want a step up from the kibler colonial I just did.  Anyways.  I have my heart set on using Kiblers ketland lock.  Talking with a guy on mewe this evening and him showing me pics of both the kibler and the L&R durs egg it doesn't look like it will interchange.  I'm not completely sold on the southern mountain, I've considered both the Tennessee classic and mountain too.  Anyways.  Does anyone know what locks would be a closer match to the kibler? I hope I can use it but if not I will do what I gotta do.  Thanks y'all!

Offline Marcruger

Re: Kibler lock interchangeably
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 02:56:45 AM »
The Chambers Late Ketland is an excellent lock that is “wicked fast” to paraphrase folks from Maine.  No downside to that lock.

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 03:19:12 AM »
Interchange with what?  If you are only getting the barrel channel and ramrod groove cut on the blank, then any lock will work.
Brice Stultz

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 03:58:51 AM »
This is a Pecatonica southern rifle precarve, I didn't let them inlet for the lock, it is better to do that yourself and get it in the right place. IAs you can see I used a Chambers late Ketland lock.

Offline Hutch

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 04:14:48 AM »
I guess I'm not being clear.  I was under the impression/told that the kibler lock wouldn't fit/work right with the pecatonica kit.   Sure looks like it will to me, but I really don't know enough (obviously).

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 04:53:26 AM »
The only way the Kibler lock wouldn’t work for what you want to do, is if Pecatonica is doing the lock prep.  You should be able to call them and see if they could do the stock “without” the lock prep.  If they haven’t started it yet, they are pretty good at giving you only what you want.  You can then inlet the Kibler lock.  If you haven’t ever done that, it’s about time to learn how!
Bob

Offline Hutch

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 05:14:14 AM »
Thank you guys for clearing it up.  I was told the kibler was shaped different too much and wouldn't work, or something along those lines. 

I am really looking forward to doing the inlet myself! The kibler is an awesome rifle and super fun to put together but I'm ready to take the next step! I'm still several months out from starting probably, waiting on my Hershel house videos to come in so I can study some more in the meantime.  I still have some finish work to do on the kibler and enjoy it some before starting the next one lol!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 06:39:17 AM »
I am sure they are referring to the use of  Kimbler lock in the mortice they have cut for their lock. That is the only way their statement makes any sense. I f  you ask for no lock inlet for your kit  you dont have to worry about it. It just means they have to cut the whole stock leaving the lock inlet undone and not pluck one off the rack ready to go. 
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Hutch

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 03:53:16 PM »
I am sure they are referring to the use of  Kimbler lock in the mortice they have cut for their lock. That is the only way their statement makes any sense. I f  you ask for no lock inlet for your kit  you dont have to worry about it. It just means they have to cut the whole stock leaving the lock inlet undone and not pluck one off the rack ready to go.

Thank you, it all makes more sense now lol!