Author Topic: Fitting the hawken tang to the breach  (Read 719 times)

Offline lumpy33

• Starting Member
Fitting the hawken tang to the breach
« on: July 24, 2021, 05:22:31 PM »
Hello all I have a question about fitting the tang to the breach the results in a tight fit and very minimal gap. What are the step by steps and what to be aware for to achieve this? I am looking for your process that works. Thank you for your time Jerry

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Fitting the hawken tang to the breach
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 06:31:41 PM »
Hello all I have a question about fitting the tang to the breach the results in a tight fit and very minimal gap. What are the step by steps and what to be aware for to achieve this? I am looking for your process that works. Thank you for your time Jerry

In the early 1980's I started a Hawken with a one inch x 34 50 caliber Bill Large barrel with a hook breech and I made sure the beech and tang were solid and inletted the whole thing as a unit.I used my vertical milling machine as a router running full throttle to inlet the barrel and then did the breech and tang together** with the barrel.After that the lock and then the two barrel wedges made from scraps.The finished two came later.I inlet the triggers after carefully measuring the distance between the sear at full cock and the top of the triggers when they ARE SET.Being able to make whatever triggers I need that is no problem.The barrel rib was installed and pipes soldered on and then the ramrod hole was drilled with a long drill that I made for the job.I hope this helps.I am just telling how I did it and lay no claims to being a rifle maker.
**I did this by hand with small woodworking tools and needle rasps.
I must add that I did NOT get to shape the stock because I was getting heavily involved with automobile work and a Canadian couple with a Duesenberg car need a lot of specialty parts and pieces custom made and that was PRIORITY
ONE for a while.Do NOT get in a hurry with Hawken.They are not as simple as some think,like the English Long range rifles they will fool you.
Bob Roller

Offline lumpy33

• Starting Member
Re: Fitting the hawken tang to the breach
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 03:35:30 AM »
Thanks Bob I have put together a couple of English sporting rifles with Don tutoring me. The hawken is proving to be challenging but that is why we do this to keep learning.