Author Topic: Building Blind  (Read 11021 times)

Offline Ezra

Re: Building Blind
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2020, 07:37:29 PM »
Truly, this is one of the most inspirational and heartwarming threads I have ever read here. 

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2020, 03:53:56 AM »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for looking and commenting.  We got more done.  A very special tool came from the mind and generosity of Acer (Tom Curran).  He suggested that Josh might have an easier time tapping a chisel if he used a flat weight in his hand rather than a mallet.  It might make it easier for him to concentrate on the tip of the chisel rather than connecting the mallet and the chisel handle.  Instead of just making the suggestion, Tom sent a thick steel disk that he turned.  It worked like magic with results you can see below.  Tom, it was a brilliant idea and it made a difference immediately.  We got the trigger guard inlet and Josh did most of that and we installed a toe plate, which Josh inlet.  The toe plate was one I made for my first rifle back in 1978.  It was simple but appropriate so we used it.  We installed the trigger and adjusted it to about 2.5 pounds for now.  After tuning and polishing the lock it will get lighter but we have to consider safety. Josh has to feel for the trigger so we may not want it too light.  Here is where we are.  We need to do the final finish shaping, carving, and inlet a patch box and star in the cheek piece.  The patch box will be the famous "tulip" box by Dickert shown in RCA 1. I think you can see what a handsome rifle this will be.  More to come.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »
Blind or not, that is some really fine work.  The both of you need huge congratulations on this project.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2020, 01:18:59 AM »
Thanks Craig,
I'll pass the encouragement on to Josh.   Thinking about the toe plate from my first gun, let me entertain you all with a little story.  I was very close to my Dad.  We made things in his shop since I was 8 or 9 years old.  Pop could make anything and had extensive knowledge of basic wood and metal work.  When he retired in 1977, he took up wood carving with a passion.  He was very skilled with the tools and techniques but he was never an artist. He was a craftsman.  His carving was the typical work of old retired guys, the "cowboy boot", the "grumpy face in the walking stick", carousel horses (although dad did do a great carousel pig with wings), and wildlife.  Since I worked with canids, including foxes, coyotes, and wolves, Dad carved lots of them.  I loved them but they all kind of looked like chubby labs with erect ears.  No matter, they were great.  I got into making muzzleloaders because a friend took Dad and I out to shoot his TC Hawken.  This was 1976.  We had great fun but both of us looked at the rifle and concluded that we could build a better gun.  So I went to the library looking up books about old guns and decided flintlocks long rifles were for me. My guiding book was Kaufmann's "Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle", which I bought and devoured. With Pop's support I ordered parts from a newly discovered Dixie Gun Works, which included a Siler flintlock kit, rough stock blank, Douglas barrel, a few parts and McCory's little book on Kentucky rifle building. We went from there making all the other parts like ramrod pipes, patch box, sights, barrel lugs, muzzle cap, side plate, cheek star, barrel pin escutcheon plates, and toe plate all from scratch.  I learned a lot about locks from building that kit. It was also the perfect vehicle for Dad to remember his technical training in metal work and teach me all of those pre-World War 2 secrets.  Well, we built the gun together and it came out well but with many of the pitfalls of those who have not handled originals. Regardless, when it came to designing carving and inlays, the only really inspiration from my Dad was the rounded arrow head, which you see in the toe plate on Josh's rifle.  If I ever asked Dad for ideas, that was the only thing he would suggest.  It was safe, symmetrical, easy to make, and bland. I was bored by it and wanted more but that ability came later.  Pop sent me on the road in many ways and using that toe plate on Josh's rifle is very appropriate. Dad would approve.

dave     

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2020, 01:47:21 AM »
Much respect Dave. Says alot....

Offline BJH

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2020, 07:08:28 PM »
It only looks a couple hundred percent better than my first couple of gun builds. And I can see, at least I think ;) Amazing job. Dave your tutelage is to be more than commended. BJH
BJH

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2020, 08:24:23 PM »
There are other ways to be a Hero Member on this site, but that's got to be the best. I'm guessing Josh thinks so too.
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2020, 04:02:25 AM »
Golly, Dave, this is so heartwarming. I'm glad to see the short mallet is handy. If Josh needs a smaller one, let me know.

This impressive work by Josh says a whole lot about him as a man, and a whole lot more about you, Dave. Wow, just amazing.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2020, 01:20:57 AM »
Hi,

We got more done.  Josh helped me make and install a brass patch box with spring catch mechanism.  To be honest, I did most of the work but he helped file and shape the patch box finial and side plates as well as prepare the surface of the stock to receive the box.

The design is a copy of one attributed to Jacob Dickert.  Only the box survived from that gun and it is one of the best Dickert made or used. The finial is a tulip and the whole box will be engraved folk art.  Josh had a very special teacher who helped him a great deal and loved tulips.  I mentioned that many Lancaster guns had daisy patch boxes so one shaped as a tulip would not be out of place.  Lo and behold, we found the Dickert "tulip" box and chose that.  We still need to clean it up a bit as well as the hinge but it came out really nice and is one of the most charming patch boxes I've seen.  Josh will eventually cut and clean out the rest of the patch box cavity.  Next up is carving.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2020, 05:49:02 AM »
I continue to be amazed at the two of you, Dave.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline One Shot

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2020, 10:02:07 AM »
Josh and Dave you have knocked this project out of the hollar.... It is so heart warming. Josh has to be commended for doing what it takes to overcome his adversity. Dave you also need to be commended for the assistance you have given Josh to overcome his adversity.

You will both walk away with a wealth of knowledge and experience that most will never experience or know. It will be one that you will keep close to the heart and a friendship that I am sure will last til the end of time. 

I can imagine that there will be a legacy from this build as there is no other I imagine.

Thank to both of you for sharing a part of your lives with us. Thank you.

Offline Hutch

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2021, 05:18:00 AM »
I know this is a really good thread.  But i just gotta know how it turned out! Such a cool story!!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »
Hi Hutch,
Thanks for looking.  Here is how it ended up.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=62908.msg630960#msg630960

dave