Author Topic: one piece muzzle cap  (Read 1439 times)

Offline yip

one piece muzzle cap
« on: July 27, 2021, 06:51:47 PM »
  whats the best way of making a one piece muzzle cap?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: one piece muzzle cap
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 07:34:05 PM »
  whats the best way of making a one piece muzzle cap?

Check out the tutorial section.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=9.0
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 08:39:36 PM »
Thanks, Rich. You beat me to it.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:53:21 PM »
That tutorial is very much the way I have made mine.  I generally end up using every "bad" word I know several times.  Annealing often is critical - you must not let the metal start to kink!!!!!  Remember that you are trying to get the metal o flow rather than just bend.  The deeper your ramrod groove the more challenging it is to get the end cap closed.

Good luck!

JMC

Offline yip

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 11:34:20 PM »
  thanks Rich i've trye Hershel House and Peter Alexsander and had trouble, i'll give this'n a try   thanks!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 02:47:02 AM »
  thanks Rich i've trye Hershel House and Peter Alexsander and had trouble, i'll give this'n a try   thanks!
Yip,
I have made several one piece steel nosecaps and the problems I had at first were due to using metal too thick (old empty propane tanks work well for me). The other was leaving too much steel to fold for the front, just leave enough to get up to the underside of the barrel.

I only have made one brass one and it seemed easier but maybe because the earlier ones were all mild steel.

Oh, I never had good luck with using wood for a forming tool. I turned metal ones on the lathe. Also buy GOOD hose clamps not cheap ones that break when tightened real tight!
Dennis
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:50:57 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 02:59:14 PM »
YIP....if this Mcap is for a BC, most BCs had a one piece Mcap but only because the end piece was n't used. In other words....the Mcap was open ended and was riveted on both sides......Fred
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 09:47:31 PM by flehto »

Offline yip

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 04:28:27 PM »
  Fred my ententions was just that but i have little gaps  between the stock and the muzzle and trying to hid them some what

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 04:45:01 PM »
Why not go w/ a 2 piece Mcap w/ a soldered in end piece...or is your intention to learn how to make a formed 1 piece Mcap which are not on BCs?......Fred

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 05:01:17 PM »
  When I attended Dixon's a few years ago. Their was an ALR member doing a demo on this. He used an old piece of barrel.
The trick was he kept the heat on the muzzle piece while he was shaping it. As Dennis stated the thicker the medal the harder it is to shape.
 Anyway the method works well for me. Other's may disagree.
 Oldtravler
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:02:15 AM by oldtravler61 »

Offline yip

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 12:01:24 AM »
  i'v.e made these years ago with no trouble, wish i'm doing something wrong

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 11:39:24 PM »
Done a grooved one in annealed silver 0.058 inch thick (pics are posted on this forum which include pics of form). I used a piece of brass to make a form the same shape as the stock mortise. The trick was, as has been said, anneal often and leave just enough to fold and meet the barrel. I left too much in some places and not enough in other places and had to repair with silver solder.  Silver is amazing stuff to work ie easy.

Offline far55

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 04:28:59 AM »
I used Acer's tutorial with brass on my first gun and left too much up front,so it took me 2 tries. On my current build, a southern mountain rifle, I wanted a steel nosecap, so I started out with a soft lamination from an old Lincoln welder transformer and hit it right the first time. Roland