Author Topic: Whakon bay aquafortis  (Read 1299 times)

Offline scottmc

Whakon bay aquafortis
« on: July 28, 2021, 02:00:27 AM »
I just had the most bizarre thing happen today.  My mentor is building a wolemosdorf style smoothbore for me.  I insisted on using aquafortis to stain with first and then follow up with LMF Lancaster maple second.  I did this first on a piece of scrap from this gun and the result was pleasing.  When I did it today on the finished product, it came out greenish and the curl really didnt pop.  I know most will say I didnt heat it enough but I've used it many times but never had this happen.  The stock warped some and when we put the barrel back in it split a little on the one side about .5" which it seems like its been a curse for me lately.  He's going to repair the stock and surprisingly he didnt blow up at me making his work of art look like a Martian.  He simply said "we learned a lesson".  He's not a fan of aquafortis and maybe I know why now.

Has anyone else run into this with wakon bay aquafortis?
Remember Paoli!

Offline Ted Kramer

Re: Whakon bay aquafortis
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 02:58:22 AM »
The original Wahkon Bay Aquafortis that William Young made always worked well for me. After he quit making it, several years ago, it just never seemed to work the same.

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 03:33:41 AM »
I’d try the heat again.
Bob

Offline StevenV

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 04:21:33 AM »
Scott don't give up on Aqua Fortis, I have used it on at least 10 guns , excellent results , it is stain that I made. If you make another gun let me know I will give you some. Just my opinion , it is the best stain. I have even used some of Kibler's tannic acid , great results.  Steve

Offline scottmc

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 05:37:02 AM »
I will try the heat again just to make sure and Steve, I agree that I like it too.  I just probably won't use this brand anymore.  Kiblers works but just didnt give me the color I was looking for on this one.   
Remember Paoli!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 10:19:46 PM »
The green goblin got greener after it was steelwooled back but the color was converted with trials of different shades of stains mixed with methanol. 

Remember Paoli!

Offline Bonnie54

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 05:09:03 AM »
Good looking Rifle Brother! I look forward to seeing it
Brett Davis

Offline FALout

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 12:40:56 PM »
Wood is wood, the color is going to vary from one stock to another.  I’ve had stocks that just stayed on the blonde side no matter what and I’m not one to use stains that will fade in time.  I just except what it is and move on, and guess what, sometime later I usually will like the color while I’ll still be bothered by what I should have done better architecturally or with embellishments.  I will admit I like the Kibler stuff better.
Bob