Author Topic: sights and sighting customer guns  (Read 1217 times)

Offline mgbruch

sights and sighting customer guns
« on: July 30, 2021, 02:52:06 AM »
For those who build for customers; what kind of sighting in do you do on a customers gun, and how high are you leaving the sights?  Many thanks.

Offline Sidelock

• J.R. Dixon
Re: sights and sighting customer guns
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 03:12:05 AM »
I'll use a laser bore sight to get it close.  Generally I don't bother to site a piece in per se, I am just test firing to ensure proper function, that the piece is shooting a decent group and look over the spent patches for any indications of problems.  I prefer to have a group patterning low from point of aim, but good left to right.  So, for that to occur I'm leaving a lot of meat on that front sight for the new owner to dress down as needed for his/her purposes. 
If you cannot see the irony in having a gun ban enforced by men with guns, then you fail to understand why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place....

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 03:53:46 AM »
It’s NOT my gun.  Your eyes and my eyes see differently, your style is different, you might be a hunter, or may punch paper. 
I make sure it functions well, has a good trigger pull, and they rest is up to the new owner.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 04:17:53 PM »
I don't fire the gun before it leaves. I can't see the sights anyway. ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline paulitus

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 02:47:01 PM »
I fire three shots thru a new gun before I offer it for sale, looking for proper function and safety. As long as they hit the paper at twenty five yards, I am satisfied. Sight alignment is very personal, especially with the relatively crude irons on these guns. I have kept records of sight heights on various barrels, and this usually gets them pretty close.

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 05:01:18 PM »
A parallel question is, where do you place the back site?  I usually use 12 to 14 inches but I have old eyes.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 06:04:29 PM »
A parallel question is, where do you place the back site?  I usually use 12 to 14 inches but I have old eyes.
Originals are usually around 8". I usually ask the customer where he prefers the rear sight. If I'm building  a spec gun I go 11-12". For my self 14" or more....really doesn't make a difference because I can't see it anyway. ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 07:42:21 PM »
  Well for a guy who can't see. You sure make some Nifty guns.
 Oldtravler

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 09:58:32 PM »
         I do not try to develop a load.  For a 50 cal. I use 70 gr. of 3f Goex and a 490 ball, and .018 patch lubed with Murphy's oil soap cut about 1/3 w water.  I regulate the sights for windage and sight the gun to hit 3/4" high 35 yds.  When done I take a crack at my 75 yd. gong which is a small acetylene tank about 6" wide and 18" high.  If it hits the gong it is close enough for the new owner to fine tune the sights.  I have had a number of guys send photos of deer they collected w/o ever adjusting the sights.   I place the rear sight just in front of the balance point (usually about over the entry pipe).  Nothing more loathsome than a rear sight digging into your hand when you carry your rifle.

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 11:13:19 PM »
Lucky touches on a good point, how can you sight in properly if you don't have the best load worked out. Surly a job for the end user IMHO.