Author Topic: Round ball mould  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Bushfire

Round ball mould
« on: August 01, 2021, 05:13:40 AM »
Just FYI off the bat, I'm not looking to buy this here (I'm half way around the world) just wasn't sure where was best suited for the topic.

I'm trying to find the round ball moulds that you can use over the fire and that have the little sprue snippet but I can't figure out what they're called and as such can't find them online. Can someone give them the name to look up?

Secondly are they any good?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Round ball mould
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 05:28:36 AM »
They are called bag molds because they could fit in your shooting bag. Larry Callahan makes them. They are good. I get very round balls from his molds. There is no sprue cutting with a sheet plate like modern molds. The handles can be used to cut the sprue off neatly. You have to figure out how to not burn your hands when using these. I straighten the curved handles and use corn cobs as insulators. I’ve seen others wrap the handles with leather strips.

Just search the internet for Larry Callahan bag molds. He has other high quality accessories as well.
Andover, Vermont

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 07:17:19 PM »

A second to a Callahan bag mould.  I have one of his moulds in .490, and those balls shoot every bit as well as those from my Lee mould.

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 11:39:48 PM »
I have several of Larry Callahan's molds and other accessories he makes.  All high quality.

http://callahanbagmolds.com/