General discussion > Shop Made Tools

Banding material scrapers?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Metalshaper:
I own a litle Sieg X2 mini mill. I use it to make parts and such in my shop. along with my 1960 AA 6 x12" Craftsman lathe.
the parallels are use in a mill vise to hold a piece of stock above the vise jaws so you can remove material and hold it
parallel to the vise and mill table. There are angled versions, that allow for decently precise angle cuts < relative to the travel of the
XY table.> if you do your part correctly.

here is a breechplug I made in my shop.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Bob Roller:

--- Quote from: Hutch on August 02, 2021, 06:07:24 PM ---I've seen parallels mentioned in a few places, what do you use those for?

--- End quote ---

The parallels we discuss here are usually adjustable. I have 2 and 1/2 sets and they can be used for,as has been mentioned
to establish a height  or insertion into a "T"slot to establish the accurate width if there is a question.Milling machines benefit from these tools as well as vise jaws or plates on quickly removeable precision dowel pins that can establish instant angles for different jobs.These adjustable parallels are or were used in trade schools to teach micrometer reading in both decimal and metrics as well as depths and heights.I still buy measuring tools that are now obsolete like Vernier Calipers with decimal on one side and metricc on the other and micrometers by long defunct majkers that were active during WW2.I use one nearly every day made by "Union Tool Co". I bought it a few years ago at Friendship for $20 still in the box and checked it on a Brown&Sharpe one inch standard and a 1/2 ball bearing and it is right on spec.
   Learning accurate measuring has been a real help/blessing to many of us and while I no longer am deeply involved with it I have forgotten little and hope I never do.
Bob Roller

WadePatton:
Back to scrapers for a minute. "Card scrapers" is the type we're making from odd bits of metal.  A nearly perfect 90 degree edge is sharp and will scrape, but it's not going to give you the nice curls you can pull with a rolled edge. A properly rolled edge is turned with a burnisher (or any roundish and hard enough metal you happen to use).  A super quickie bur can be raised by drawfiling lengthwise along the cutting edge, but it won't last long and may be rough rather than smooth.

It took me a few scraper sharpening sessions before I felt the bur being formed and now I can get a good rolled edge and such will make shavings rather than dust, and that's why we do it.

Paul Sellers (and many others I'm sure) makes some great tool sharpening and setup videos. Here's one on turning a card scraper sharpening:

here's the title of the video: Card Scraper Sharpening | Paul Sellers_ Since we cannot see it here--or just hit the YT link.

Once you've seen the straight edge scraper, then here is his curved scraper sharpening video at his site (which has a pay wall but this one, and many others, are free):

https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/videos/curved-scraper-sharpening/

Hutch:

--- Quote from: WadePatton on August 03, 2021, 04:03:19 PM ---Back to scrapers for a minute. "Card scrapers" is the type we're making from odd bits of metal.  A nearly perfect 90 degree edge is sharp and will scrape, but it's not going to give you the nice curls you can pull with a rolled edge. A properly rolled edge is turned with a burnisher (or any roundish and hard enough metal you happen to use).  A super quickie bur can be raised by drawfiling lengthwise along the cutting edge, but it won't last long and may be rough rather than smooth.

It took me a few scraper sharpening sessions before I felt the bur being formed and now I can get a good rolled edge and such will make shavings rather than dust, and that's why we do it.

Paul Sellers (and many others I'm sure) makes some great tool sharpening and setup videos. Here's one on turning a card scraper sharpening:

here's the title of the video: Card Scraper Sharpening | Paul Sellers_ Since we cannot see it here--or just hit the YT link.

Once you've seen the straight edge scraper, then here is his curved scraper sharpening video at his site (which has a pay wall but this one, and many others, are free):

https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/videos/curved-scraper-sharpening/

--- End quote ---

Actually I think I watched that one just the other day lol! What are you guys using for a burnisher? It just looks like a metal rod to me but I'm sure there's more to it than that.  That or people are charging an insane amount of money for a rod and a handle 🤣🤣

Tim Crosby:
 A Good screw driver will work.

Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version