Author Topic: Impossible shots (flintlock vs. egg at 100yds)  (Read 25372 times)

Jimmy82

Impossible shots (flintlock vs. egg at 100yds)
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:39:40 AM »
Anybody catch the episode of impossible shots on the outdoor channel where they had a guy shoot an egg free hand at 100yds with a flinter?

It was pretty cool, an awesome display of a traditional flinter's capabilities.  No fizz bang or any other hollywood style shooting antics (except for shooting at an egg).

If anybody else did happen to see it, do they know more about the shooter or the rifle (first name was George)?  They said it was a pre-rev .58cal something or other.  Wish I had paid more attention, but it was like a 10 second blurb about the gun.

DTCoffin

Re: Impossible shots (flintlock vs. egg at 100yds)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:45:49 AM »
His name is George Sutton, see the post down below titled "HELP".

Jimmy82

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:11:57 AM »
Hehe, thanks  ;D

Colonial Riflesmith

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 12:42:43 PM »
I routinely practice with my .50 at 4" clay pigeons at 100 yds. That's a normal shot for me. Never thought of shooting at an egg. Good Idea!!!! I think I'll try it. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.

ottawa

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:18:37 PM »
My sons where real impressed a flint lock shooter hitting and egg at a 100yards WOW

TNrifleman

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »
100 yards off hand at a target the size of an egg is a good shot with any firearm. That is an impressive display of marksmanship.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »
100 yard offhand egg shot.  That is impressive, no doubt about it, and to do it with a flintlock as well - outstanding.

lew wetzel

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 03:52:26 PM »
i missed it....does anyone have a link or know how it could be viewed on the computer....i would love to see this...

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »
Me-too, Lew.  I'm paying $112 for cable (comp and TV) already and don't get that channel either.

lew wetzel

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »
daryl,i just got off the phone with a fellow builder and he suggested going on the outdoor channel website and see if they have the video posted....i dont even think i get the outdoor channel....plus i work second shift so i wouldnt be able to watch anyways.....we only have cable because of the kids...and if i do watch tv its either the history channel,discovery,or the news....

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 04:45:57 PM »
Well its a challenge; but not impossible...! ;) I do wonder how many shots ol George Sutton actually fired at it til he hit it ;) ;D

Our club egg shoot is a side match monthly.  Draw 3 names and if they all miss the pot rolls over til next shoot.  We have a shooter that turned 96 last month and he scrambled that egg offhand w/his TC flinter of course it was 'only' out there at 75 yards.... ::)

A club at Danville, Pa hangs the egg out there at abt 90 yds draws only one name per shoot and it takes forever till it gets scrambled..  Of course the pot does build up at $1. per entry,
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:47:14 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 05:11:31 PM »
Hi Roger, it took me three shots to hit the egg at 100 yards.

I appreciate all of you who have watched me on the "Impossible Shots" program.

If you have any shots that you'd like to see, maybe I can give it a try.

Thanks for watching.

George P. Sutton
Centershot

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
Hi Roger, it took me three shots to hit the egg at 100 yards.

I appreciate all of you who have watched me on the "Impossible Shots" program.

If you have any shots that you'd like to see, maybe I can give it a try.

Thanks for watching.

George P. Sutton
Centershot
Jeez, and here I would have bet the farm you used up plenty of film and powder and ball til you hit that egg. ;D  Fine shooting I'd say!

J.D.

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »
I'm sure that viewers would enjoy seeing you split a ball on an axe.

Split ball is always a crowd pleaser. And it isn't all that hard. A good shot can do it very consistently.

God bless
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:18:57 PM by J.D. »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 06:37:54 PM »
I'm sure that viewers would enjoy seeing you split a ball on an axe.

Split ball is always a crowd pleaser. And it isn't all that hard. A good shot can do it very consistently.

God bless
Sure, thats when ol George will dig out his Charleville .69.     ::) Secret is (no not double ballin!!), finding the edge! Then crawl up the edge as you squeeze! That 'helps' to cut down on the right and left wiggles...

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 07:09:36 PM »
Hi J.D.,  I was going to split the ball on the axe but all the other shooters were doing it so we passed on that shot.

I'm looking for something different to do. If you have any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

George

Centershot

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 10:10:30 PM »
Hi J.D.,  I was going to split the ball on the axe but all the other shooters were doing it so we passed on that shot.

I'm looking for something different to do. If you have any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

George

Centershot
Running deer????   Shooting the flinter rifle upside down and hit what your pointing at?  Hang a jug on a string and cut the string with your shot?  Vacumn cleaner on exhaust and set a ping pong ball in the exhaust and hit the bouncing ball with the round ball?  small clay pigeon on a stick that swings back and forth (left and right) driven by elec motor arrangement hit the clay pigeon?  Set up a roller coaster track with a metal plate running down by gravity - hit the plate.?   Drive a thumbtack thru a board with the round ball?  Maybe best of all set up a cartoon of Osama Bin Laden's old lady (the one with a wart on her nose) and hit the wart w/the round ball Or accidently miss and hit the bitch 'tween' the eyes! :o ::) ;) ;D   Commision gratefully accepted ::)

Dancy

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 10:49:28 PM »
Centershot,

1) How about skipping the ball off water and hitting something on the edge of a pond.

2) Is it possible to strike a kitchen match with a ball?

3) Shooting through something like a metal plate, wall or a car door and hitting something behind it, to show the power of a 58 would be cool.

4) A stick of dynamite or can of gas.

James

BTW - I emailed Scouten supporting your shooting on the show and received a nice reply back from him.

D. Bowman

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 11:26:39 PM »
An egg at 100 yds offhand nice shot. Here is one i've bin kicking around I want to take the split the ball on the axe head one step further i want to weld up a cutting edge in the shape of an X  and split the ball four ways breaking four clays in one shot . I think this would be a great shot on a woods walk with the possibility of one to four points what do you guys think?

Duane Bowman

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 02:05:01 AM »
An egg at 100 yds offhand nice shot. Here is one i've bin kicking around I want to take the split the ball on the axe head one step further i want to weld up a cutting edge in the shape of an X  and split the ball four ways breaking four clays in one shot . I think this would be a great shot on a woods walk with the possibility of one to four points what do you guys think?

Duane Bowman
Suerew I mean sure!  Bring her along to the Eastern!  I do wonder seriously how you can get a round clay bird down in to those four corners close enough. BTW since you handle live rats maybe you have some square clay birds that would work! ;D :D

D. Bowman

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
Rodger, are you still crying about that. A rat it was almost a mouse and I have no clue how it got in your shooting box???

D. Bowman

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »
George, why not duplicate some long range historical shot(s) that was/were made?

From; The Frontier Rifleman - page 77

"I have many times asked the American backwoodsman what was the most their best marksmen could do; they have constantly told me that an expert rifleman, provided he can draw good and true sight, can hit the head of a man at 200 yards.  I am certain that provided an American rifleman was to get a perfect aim at 300 yards at me standing still, he most undoubtedly would hit me, unless it was a very windy day..."

[Colonel George Hanger, To All Sportsmen and Particularly to Farmers and Gamekeepers, 1814

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 05:05:21 PM »
George, why not duplicate some long range historical shot(s) that was/were made?

From; The Frontier Rifleman - page 77

"I have many times asked the American backwoodsman what was the most their best marksmen could do; they have constantly told me that an expert rifleman, provided he can draw good and true sight, can hit the head of a man at 200 yards.  I am certain that provided an American rifleman was to get a perfect aim at 300 yards at me standing still, he most undoubtedly would hit me, unless it was a very windy day..."

[Colonel George Hanger, To All Sportsmen and Particularly to Farmers and Gamekeepers, 1814

I have been very impressed with the shooting so far. More than most of Mundens stuff.
There are numerous things to try, driving nails, snuffing candles (pretty easy with a 50+ caliber even in the dark) etc.
A  8" balloon would be a good "impossible" target at 200. Hold over is not all that much with a HV load. If you "cheat" and put it on a steel plate its even easier.
But wind can be a problem and it don't take much.
The 300 yard shot ala General Fraser is doable with a steel plate of the right size. 400 yards as reported by Col. Hanger gets tougher. I have never shot past 300 with a RB. Velocity variations from shot to shot will get more and more important as the range increases.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 07:23:16 PM »
I was blessed to attend a shooting performance by the late Bill Jordan with his model 10 .38 special. The most impressive shots (to me) were the ones where he sat up with a clay pigeon, some kind of wafer, an alka seltzer tablet and a aspirin.
These were on a table and he was fast drawing one at a time. They were'nt 100 yards off either but maybe 15 or 20. He didn't miss once and when that aspirin exploded into powder it was truly unbelievable and impressive.
Maybe you could shoot an aspirin at long range. I'd like to see that done with a flintlock.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Daryl

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 07:28:08 PM »
George, have you split playing cards into two pieces? This is close range, of course or even the thin line of the card's edge is invisible. Having a dark background helps immensely.