Author Topic: Impossible shots (flintlock vs. egg at 100yds)  (Read 25370 times)

Offline Darkhorse

Re: Impossible shots (flintlock vs. egg at 100yds)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 09:29:49 PM »
I always found cutting the cards to be difficult. I ended up with a lot of half cut cards and cards with a long gash in the middle. Didn't seem like I could ever get that right angle thing down.
But the toughest was the egg taped to the string shot with a .22 I got the string to move and the egg to sway but never actually cut it. Looked like the compressed air traveling in front of the bullet would always push the string aside before it could be cut.
And maybe that's just my excuse but it was a tough shot nonetheless. I'm not sure how impressive it would be to someone just watching who had never tried it though.
I for one would be impressed.
Maybe I need to try one of my .54's?
American horses of Arabian descent.

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »
You have to keep moving back and forth until the 'card' almost totally disappears - then it's on edge to you and your ball. The ball must cut it almost exactly in the middle as a side, rounded edge hitting it will bend the card and you get a partial cut only, same as when hitting it from a side angle.  On our trail walk, we attempt to cut cards every time we do the course - most every weekend throughout the winter.
the card dated 1/05/09 was bent into a slight "U" shape, top to bottom, hense the card cut out in the middle.  As you can see, many of these cards, dating from the 8th Jan., were cut with a .40 rifle, a few with the .58 and same with the .69.  Size doesn't matter 'much' in this game if your gun is accurate, however the guys shooting .62 smoothbores also cut cards - sometimes. ;D

Leatherbelly

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »
 How many re-entries?

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 01:04:59 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys. I guess I should list what I've already done.

I shot a piece of charcoal on a string, then I cut the string, I set another frame with a string tied top to bottom 10 yds in front of another charcoal on a string. I shot and cut the string and hit the charcoal.

I shot a regular size playing card at 25 yards, then a minature card at 25 yds., then I shot two minature cards on edge (1" X 2") in half.

I shot an apple and took a bite out of it upon request (He asked me to take a bite out of the right side), then I tied two apples side by side and took a bite out of both, then I shot an apple with the gun upside down.

I shot an egg at 25 yards, a swinging egg at 25 yards, then an egg at 100yds.

I shot a golf ball off a tee at 50yds, a golf ball off a tee at 75 yds, then I used a friend's left handed rifle and shot the tee out from under the ball, left handed.

I shot a quarter, a nickel, and a dime on edge.

I didn't split the ball on the axe, the show felt that everyone does it.

I may try the 200 yd. balloon shot.

George Sutton
Centershot

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 02:54:06 AM »
Good shooting, George- not much left to do?

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 06:05:14 AM »
I like the balloon idea George.  You could also give them a two for one show;

Remember the movie Quigly Down Under and the bucket he shot with his Sharps Rifle and Vernier Sight set up?

Well, how about a bucket shot with a flintlock from 200 yards, then the balloon?  Quigly's was Hollywood with supposedly letting his sight adjustments do the work for him.  Your's is good ol' iron sights with windage and elevation.

Just another thought in the mix. :)

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 06:24:46 PM »
Hi Roger, it took me three shots to hit the egg at 100 yards.

I appreciate all of you who have watched me on the "Impossible Shots" program.

If you have any shots that you'd like to see, maybe I can give it a try.

Thanks for watching.

George P. Sutton
Centershot

It seems I recall Byron  tossing up a aspirin and shooting it Have you ever tried that? I have saw most of the shows so far and I was really impressed by the egg shot, I think the swinging egg would be a harder shot than the hanging egg at 100 yards due to the timing required to pull it off. Both shots were great ! I can't wait to see what is next . Thank you for showing the world what could be done with a flintlock & keep up the good work. I hope more people will be drawn into our sport thanks to your efforts. 
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

J.D.

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »
Good shooting, George- not much left to do?

IMHO, that is an understatement. I couldn't perform those shots when I was shooting good, much less now.

God bless

William Worth

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2009, 10:48:58 PM »
I had to quit shooting the old eggs that I keep out in the shed for that purpose.  My dog "Boomer" insists on eating the splattered targets and making himself sick.  Had to throw away about 15 dozen eggs on account of "Bad Egg Boomer".

Charcoal seems like a good idea.

Lighting brush piles with old gas and exploding target combinations is a good time around here. ::)

Jimmy82

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2009, 01:15:40 AM »
People love explosions.  Any hard shot that results in a fire ball would catch some attention.

Dancy

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »
Centershot,

Would you be kind enough to share with us some info. about your load/rifle? How many grains? 2F? Spit lube? Brand of barrel? Square groove? Twist rate? Swamped? Sights?

Thanks,

James

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2009, 01:56:57 AM »
Hi James,

My rifle was custom built by Charlie Wallingford, Union, Kentucky. I have four rifles that he built and all are tack drivers.

The rifle I am shooting on the Impossible Shots Show is a .58 caliber, early Virginia style rifle, it weighs exactly 10 pounds. LOP is 13 1/2".

The lock is a large Siler by Chambers, The triggers are Davis #19??? (I think).  The barrel was built by Ed Rayl, .58 cal., 1 in 72 twist, round bottom rifling, 47 in. long. Other barrel measurements are the swamp which is 1 1/2 in. at the breech and runs out to .780 and back up to .927 at the muzzle. The rear sight is an open early style sight and the front sight was made by Glenn McClain and has an ivory insert in the blade.

I only use spit unless I'm hunting, pure linen patch .015 thick, 70 grains of Goex 3F, Rush Creek, .562 cast roundballs. I don't use a short starter. I use the butt of my patch knife or just the ramrod to start the ball. I typically cut the patch on the muzzle but also carry cut patches and use them if I get lazy.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks,
George Sutton
Centershot

J.D.

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 08:33:47 AM »
You were shooting a 58? Dang, it's no wonder you were hitting those small targets with that big ball. I thought you were shooting a normal rifle of 40-45 cal.

That big ball gives you nearly an 1/8 inch advantage over a normal rifle caliber. That's almost like cheating.  ;D ;D Just kidding  :P

Daryl

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »
You were shooting a 58? Dang, it's no wonder you were hitting those small targets with that big ball. I thought you were shooting a normal rifle of 40-45 cal.

That big ball gives you nearly an 1/8 inch advantage over a normal rifle caliber. That's almost like cheating.  ;D ;D Just kidding  :P

That's why I like the 16 bore.  A .58 is just another small bore pea shooter. ;D ;D

Dancy

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2009, 06:33:38 PM »
Centershot,

Thanks for the info.! You have inspired me to get out and shoot my flintlock more after seeing what they are capable of.

It is wonderful to see something spectacular on TV and then be able to get real specifics about it, ain't technology great........sometimes!

James

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2009, 06:49:30 PM »
Daryl - your rifle is a 14 bore.  I think your Hustky is a 16 bore.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2009, 07:29:29 PM »

Remember the movie Quigly Down Under and the bucket he shot with his Sharps Rifle and Vernier Sight set up?

<snip>

Remember? I taught Quigley how the shoot a Sharps ;D ;D

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 04:55:55 PM »
Oops, my mistake Taylor - yes my capper rifle is a 14 bore, while the Husky is 16 bore left x13 bore right.

And yes, Dan taught Quigley how to shoot and use his Sharps as a club.  Good use for a Sharps, actually.  :D

Teach

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 02:21:36 AM »
Does this one count as a tough shot ? that's a 62 cal ball on it's way to the target.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2009, 04:31:13 AM »

<snip>

Remember? I taught Quigley how the shoot a Sharps ;D ;D

Dan

I never doubt or question a man who has won the Infantry Badge. :)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2009, 06:03:53 AM »
Oops, my mistake Taylor - yes my capper rifle is a 14 bore, while the Husky is 16 bore left x13 bore right.

And yes, Dan taught Quigley how to shoot and use his Sharps as a club.  Good use for a Sharps, actually.  :D

I still cringe every time I see the scene where they throw the Sharps aside and give him the 60 Army.
I suspect it was the one with the aluminum barrel.
I don't remember the club part though.
Drifting away for MLs here :o

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2009, 05:34:42 PM »
yes - and yes.  It's easy to do and I'm as much at fault as the next person.

The problem with shooting tiny targets at longer ranges is seeing them for aligning the sights.  Even if the accuracy is there, the ability to see the target over the sights isn't.  if one practised enough, one could hold enough front blade over the notch and see the egg over the blade's top surface with a 6 o'clock hold. Practise is all it takes along with some measure of skill.

Leprechaun

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2009, 01:48:42 AM »
George, since "everybody splits the ball on an axe head", why not split the ball behind you with your rifle over the shoulder sighting with a hand held mirror?. Jed and Jethro used to do it ('cept they was shootin' flies an' hornets). Just remember, right handed rifle-left shoulder, left handed rifle-right shoulder, lest you give a whole new meaning to "side burns" ;D

Dancy

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2009, 05:25:41 AM »
What about revolutionary sniper v.s. modern sniper: Shoot THROUGH a scope mounted on a bolt action rifle like in the movies, say 75 yards off hand. That would be an impossible shot!

Offline yip

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2009, 04:39:08 PM »
  hows about settin up a beer bottle at 25 yds so the neck (opening) of the bottle is facin ya, then tape a ace of spades on the bottom of the bottle. now shoot thru the neck (opening) of  the bottle without hittin said bottle and blow the back out , and hit the card in the center.     now that a shot