Author Topic: self sealing targets VS. Metal targets ???  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Carney Pace

self sealing targets VS. Metal targets ???
« on: August 05, 2021, 10:36:48 PM »
Any experience as to how the self sealing target holds up under being hit by a round ball.  How long before it will self destruct?
Thanks
Carney

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: self sealing targets VS. Metal targets ???
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 01:44:41 AM »
Any experience as to how the self sealing target holds up under being hit by a round ball.  How long before it will self destruct?
Thanks
Carney

I’m an AR500 target fan but the two or three small self sealers I have have held up fine to medium to light use. I have one 4” sphere that has taken something something like 100 .17hmr/.22 mag and maybe 50 .36/.40 RB and looks like new. Can’t argue with that. I think those were a few bucks at Wally if I remember right. That said I also have AR500 steel targets that have taken literally tens of thousands of rounds and are still as new as well….

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 02:47:55 AM »
My grandchildren have been shooting at a couple 4" blocks for a few years now with 22RFs and they don't look like they would stand up to much RB shooting. Maybe different brands hold up better . I also have three AR500 targets and the only thing I wear out on them is the yellow paint.  :)

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 04:14:28 AM »
AR500 targets will crack where the bolt holes go through.  1/2" is rated for 2850fps IMPACT velocity, and 556 fmj barely mark them at 100 yards.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 09:51:14 PM »
Our club has a good assortment of AR500 gongs.  The ones we shoot at 25 and 50 yards are 1/2" and the ones we shoot at 100 yards are 3/8".  They have been shot a lot and we haven't had one damaged yet.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 12:42:15 AM »
    I have a truck load of apparently self sealing paper targets, can't even find holes in them.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 08:10:51 AM »
    I have a truck load of apparently self sealing paper targets, can't even find holes in them.

;D ;D ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V