Author Topic: Fox horn  (Read 1247 times)

Offline TN Longhunter

Fox horn
« on: August 08, 2021, 09:00:24 PM »
Last of my three horn purchase. Fox/hunting horn. Carved mouthpiece, 16” along the curve and has a good tone for a small horn. Has owner info on one of the old plastic labels you used in the maker by selecting the letter, press to imprint, and move to next letter. This owner was in Indiana.

Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Frank Barker

Re: Fox horn
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 06:50:12 PM »
Wow Don, that is a nice dog horn. I have a few of them. It amazes me of the different sounds you can get from them. I have one that has a bugle mouth piece. I would say that these were used for more than just calling dogs. It stands to reason that they may have used them to direct troops on the battle field. It would be interesting if someone has any information on their use...
Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 05:45:14 AM »
  I just bought one yesterday, a old green horn measuring about 11" on the inside curve, pretty good sound to it, bugle type mouthpiece.  Was going to modify it into another powder hor but undecided now.

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 08:10:10 AM »
I would leave it as is, there are far more powder horns than dog horns. I love that green patina and would like to know how to duplicate it. Put a nice strap on it and wear it as a part of your accouterments.
Kind Regards
Frank Barker