General discussion > Antique Accoutrements

How were powder flask bodies made in the 1800's ?

(1/6) > >>

davec2:
Didn't want to hijack another thread on powder flasks but does anyone have some good information on how the bodies of theses flasks were made?  They had to be pressed out of thin sheet metal, but I am interested in how the molds to form flasks like this were made before the world of pantograph mills, EDM, and CNC equipment.....

alyce-james:
Dave, good evening. "The Powder Flask Book". By Ray Riling. Copyright 1953 First Edition. Chapter IV page # 40. "Metal to Market". A number of reprints can be found. Also the cyberspace will be a lucrative well of knowledge. At this time of your quest for the how, I believe the above information well be the best, first to answer many of your questions. Have a deluxe week AJ.

Tim Crosby:
 Dave, is this a trick question? I figured you'd have all the "G2" er "N2" on that question ;)

Tim

davec2:
Tim,

No I really don't know.  I know how it would be done today.....but I have no idea how it would have been done in the 18th and 19th century.  Like the question I asked the board here some time back about proof and view marks on 18th century barrels.  They are deep, 3 dimensional, and done after the barrels is finished and proof fired (viewed and proof fired).  Had to have been done cold.  How is a mark like the following done without denting the $#*! out of the bore ????  Mandrels ?....for every size bore ????? And a $#*! of a big hammer.... Like these.....how was this done ????

Clark Badgett:
By the time the metal powder flasks were becoming popular, they were already using trip hammers. Stamping dies, like many other items, were made by hand, by workmen with lots of experience. The pantograph is very old.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version