Author Topic: How were powder flask bodies made in the 1800's ?  (Read 5048 times)

Offline dogcatcher

Re: How were powder flask bodies made in the 1800's ?
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2021, 03:28:39 AM »
After reading the 2 pages posted by Dutch Blacky, I wonder if the original mold was made out of wood, then sand cast and a pour of either cast iron or maybe even brass.  Then a second sand cast of the inside of the second half of  the 2 molds.  2 wood molds that would fit inside of each other would be easier to carve, and cast than using an iron ingot and working it to a mold shape. 

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2022, 03:32:39 AM »
Interesting question, I have a few originals.

If you look close you can see the seem near the top, but other areas you cannot see it.
The edges are so clean, it's almost like they had to place or pour solder inside.  I just don't know

Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2022, 08:35:12 PM »
Most of the original dies from Dixon and others went to India  these flasks that came on the market in the 1960 which now are sold  has originals and many collectors do not know the difference
Feltwad
Repros

Repros and originals

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 02:48:50 PM »
Hello Feltward

it is really a big problem to distinguish old antique powder flasks from modern day replicas. Especially when these replicas were made using the old molds (dies). I've tried to start a discussion about this before, but my knowledge of powder flasks is pretty rudimentary.
You seem to be the one here in the forum who has accumulated the most knowledge about powder flasks over the years. I would be very happy if you could share your knowledge of antiques or replicas with us, perhaps using specific examples where you compare originals with replicas. With the Italian replicas, the differences are striking, but not with those from India.

Thanks

probably antique

new

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2023, 07:19:10 PM »
Martin Rywell is describing the making of metal powder flasks in his booklet "The Powder Flask"

There is also a description, how to repair and solder open  seams