Author Topic: Anybody have a David Dunmyer rifle?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
Anybody have a David Dunmyer rifle?
« on: August 10, 2021, 07:40:48 PM »
Anybody have a David Dunmyer rifle? If so, I would like to hear how you identified it. For example, does it have a signature, or just his initials on the lock or barrel? Does it have any of the characteristics of his brother Jonathan's rifles, such as the pattern of carving, or the style of the lock or patch box?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Anybody have a David Dunmyer rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 05:33:54 AM »
I saw one in a display of Dunmeyer family rifles at the CLA Show today.  It had a series of dots on the top barrel flat, where a signature is usually found.  The dots formed the initials D D.  The carving behind the cheek piece was very similar to Jonathon's and others in the Dunmeyer family, showing the large stylized D incorporated in the carving.  I cannot remember the display owner's name.  He told me he believes David was illiterate and that's why he did not sign his full name.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 03:08:04 AM »
Thanks Ron. I lucked upon a few fuzzy photos of that particular rifle from a friend of the owner, and hope to get better photos of it some day.

Offline Jacob_S_P

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 01:39:09 PM »
I know him, exceptionally nice gentleman. I could call and inquire about photos of those characteristics if you would like.

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 10:28:07 PM »
Jacob_S_P, Thanks for the offer. A friend wrote me today and said that he is working on obtaining photos of the David Dunmyer rifle.

Offline Jacob_S_P

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 01:41:26 AM »
Excellent. Shouldn't be a problem, the owner is a super guy.