Author Topic: Information on English made longrifles  (Read 5918 times)

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Information on English made longrifles
« on: August 11, 2021, 08:00:50 PM »
I’m looking for any printed information on these early longrifles marked “London”on the barrel.
I was told that George Shumway had written a two part article on them, but my buddy could not remember in what publication. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks Bob

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 05:51:51 PM by Rajin cajun »
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Information on English made longrifles
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 04:12:06 AM »
Are you talking about the Buckskin Report  1982 articles by Shumway?   Can't find them, but here is a thread  on another forum.  If that is the articles,  you can find old copies of the Buckskin Report on ebay. 

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/london-made-copy-of-lancaster-flintlock-rifle.109995/

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »
Hi,
There is quite a bit of information in Dewitt Bailey's book "British Military Flintlock Rifles".

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 05:55:21 PM »
Thanks to all for the info.
Appreciate the help.👍

🙏🇺🇸🙏

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 06:44:16 PM »
I have Shumway’s articles on these guns. Anything specific you’re looking for?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 09:26:45 PM »
PM sent.

Thanks Bob

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 03:12:33 AM »
I have Shumway’s articles on these guns. Anything specific you’re looking for?

Thanks Rich👍

Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 06:58:33 PM »
Hi,
There is quite a bit of information in Dewitt Bailey's book "British Military Flintlock Rifles".

dave
This is THE place to find the info you're looking for. One of these is on my "to do" list.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 06:35:18 AM »
I've been holding off commenting on this question because I only have part of the needed data...but I do have the Ketlahd export licenses so I have a good Idea how many rifles they shipped, where they shipped them and when. What I don't have yet is who they shipped them to and I can't get that information until I can get back into the National Archives.

I don't think DeWitt has much to say about these later export rifles - his book is about British military rifles which these aren't. He did contribute to the published record of the Trade Gun Conference - (I forget the date but have it in my files). In that report Shumway attributes the K examples to the Indian trade. I have serious reservations about that. There is absolutely no documentary evidence and, in discussing it with DeWitt, he acknowledged that was just a guess and he has reservations as well. In fact, the K export licenses are fairly specific and make almost no mention of "Indian Trade" guns. I think they were simply made to be sold in America, quite in keeping with the Ketland & Walker business which was to sell anything they could make a profit on. In Hanson's book on the arms of the fur trade he cites the purchase of inexpensive fowling pieces from the K's ... but it is clear that there was nothing special about them...they were just the cheap fowlers that were available.

Ketland & Walker did supply some guns to the British government for distribution to Canadian Indians during the War of 1812 but these were not rifles.

What I can say without going through my files is that the dates assigned to them are usually too early. They cannot pre-date 1794 regardless of their physical characteristics.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 06:40:15 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 07:23:42 AM »
On a trip to Ohio in 1953, I saw a very fine Kentucky Rifle in a shop. This flintlock gun was in mint condition and had a fine, signed Ketland lock with a roller frizzen.The octagonal barrel was rifled to perhaps .38 caliber and marked in Roman letters 'LONDON' on the top flat. Wood was good walnut, checkered at the wrist and I think too, on the forearm. It had a small English style silver thumb/wrist inlay. The patch box was very finely engraved and the finial had an eagle with outstretched wings. The price was $120 of which amount I had $60. When I got the rest and went back it was gone.
So, Joe and anyone else out there, what did I miss out on? It was an English piece, but considerably later than the 'London' guns discussed here. Could it have been a continuation of the Ketland business plan only later? Still kicking myself over this one.
Dick

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 02:00:35 PM »
Hi Joe,
Bailey has an entire chapter devoted to these rifles but he does not even mention Ketland.  The long rifles he describes were by Wilson, Grice, and Barnett, made in the 1770s - 1780s and traded to Indian allies of the British.  He even includes a photo from Shumay's article on them.

dav
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 03:48:25 PM »
Hi Joe,
Bailey has an entire chapter devoted to these rifles but he does not even mention Ketland.  The long rifles he describes were by Wilson, Grice, and Barnett, made in the 1770s - 1780s and traded to Indian allies of the British.  He even includes a photo from Shumay's article on them.

dav
The Ketland guns are later guns. I have handled 3 or 4 of the Wilson, Grice and Barnett guns and they are real clunkers compared to  American made guns.  They are stocked in euro walnut and definitely made to a particular pattern, probably a captured piece brought from America. They look nifty in pictures, but aren't so nifty in person.  Quickly put together by men who are used to stocking muskets.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 09:04:50 PM »
I just had a Ketland with a 46" oct to round barrel show up in the shop today. When the guy carried it in I thought it was a rifle but it ended up being a fowler. Stocked in European walnut with brass hardware and stamped "London" on the top flat.
 Slim and attractive but converted to percussion
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 12:58:30 AM »
I happened to have one of the Ketland’s on my table at the CLA show this weekend. I did not find it crude or poorly made. It was well well carved and balanced beautifully. The fit and finish appeared as good as any well made American Longrifle. I am not well versed in the when, by who they made or who they were made for. All I know if I see one for sale that is as nice as the one I had on my table I would not hesitate to have it in my collection. Unfortunately it is not mine, I am just a temporary custodian for a couple of weeks.  :) :)
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 01:20:49 AM »
I happened to have one of the Ketland’s on my table at the CLA show this weekend. I did not find it crude or poorly made. It was well well carved and balanced beautifully. The fit and finish appeared as good as any well made American Longrifle. I am not well versed in the when, by who they made or who they were made for. All I know if I see one for sale that is as nice as the one I had on my table I would not hesitate to have it in my collection. Unfortunately it is not mine, I am just a temporary custodian for a couple of weeks.  :) :)
Fowling gun? Rifle? I was referring to the Grice, Wilson, Barnet guns, Rev war era.. They are much earlier and a totally different beast than any of the ketland rifles...

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2021, 02:00:47 AM »
Hi Joe,

dav

Yes, that is my point. The guns Bailey describes were purchased by the British Ordnance Office for distribution to Indian allies. I think Shumway made the error of lumping the Ketland guns in with them but DeWitt - who is a stickler for documentary evidence - did not because he knew there was no record of Ketland ever making rifles for that purpose. The Ketlands did supply some Indian trade smooth bores but this was not until much later than the rifles that were made for distribution to Indians.

When I am able to access the shipping manifests in the US archives we should know exactly who received the rifles in America but, even without that, it is clear that they were made for civilian sale.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 02:06:59 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2021, 10:21:20 AM »
I've been holding off commenting on this question because I only have part of the needed data...but I do have the Ketland export licenses so I have a good Idea how many rifles they shipped, where they shipped them and when. What I don't have yet is who they shipped them to and I can't get that information until I can get back into the National Archives...

Joe, I'm very much looking forward to your book.  It's unfortunate that your research has been shut down.

The Ketland export data is very intriguing.  It would be very interesting to know if any of these exported Ketland rifles were sent to Montreal.  Those would have certainly been destined for the fur trade in the Great Lakes Region.

Rifles marked "Ketland & Co." could have been coming into Montreal as early as 1785 and all the way up through 1800.  They would have probably looked like this:

Nearly all the surviving rifles of this type (Shumway's Type B) have locks marked "Ketland & Co." engraved in script.

They also have the "daisy" brass patch box.

...In fact, the K export licenses are fairly specific and make almost no mention of "Indian Trade" guns. I think they were simply made to be sold in America, quite in keeping with the Ketland & Walker business which was to sell anything they could make a profit on...

Ketland & Walker did supply some guns to the British government for distribution to Canadian Indians during the War of 1812 but these were not rifles...

Probably in the 1790s but certainly by the early 1800s, the pattern for the English made trade rifle changed to what Shumway called the Type D.  This is the pattern that KETLAND, WALKER & Co were making for the 1813 Contract. 

They looked like this:

The British government purchased 1,538 of these later rifles made by 16 different British firms, including KETLAND, WALKER & Co and the other firm KETLAND & ALLPORT, during the War of 1812 for their Indian allies.  Some of these went through Monteal to the Great Lakes Region while others went to southern Indians via Western Florida and Mobile Bay.

...I don't think DeWitt has much to say about these later export rifles - his book is about British military rifles which these aren't. He did contribute to the published record of the Trade Gun Conference - (I forget the date but have it in my files). In that report Shumway attributes the K examples to the Indian trade. I have serious reservations about that. There is absolutely no documentary evidence and, in discussing it with DeWitt, he acknowledged that was just a guess and he has reservations as well...

Dave Person (smart dog) already addressed this point partially.  De Witt Bailey actually included two chapters on Indian Rifles--one up to 1783 (the Wilson trade rifles) and a second chapter that covered from 1783 to 1840 (the 1813 Contracts).  There is no question that these were intended for Indian allies as the same 1813 contracts with the 16 different firms included 12,494 Northwest trade guns, 10,118 Chief's trade guns, 2,636 trade pistols, as well as the 1,538 trade rifles.

De Witt Bailey's research only looked at guns and rifles purchased by the Board of Ordnance.  He did not research the records of the Board of Trade (if they exist).  The Board of Ordnance was responsible for purchasing Indian guns during the years of war (F&I, Rev., and 1812).  We know from surviving letters from Colonial authorities that in between these periods the Board of Trade was ordering guns for Indians.  Bailey doesn't cover any of these orders.

Outside the Hudson's Bay Company records, we don't know much about what private companies were having made in England and importing into North America.  Not much has survived of the North West Company records for instance or the other Montreal based fur companies.

Why Would the British Copy Pennsylvania Rifles?

Even before the F&I War, traders from Pennsylvania were crossing over the mountains and trading with Indians in Ohio country.  One of the better known was George Croghan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Croghan.  Mercantile firms such as Baynton, Wharton & Morgan of Philadelphia https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/baynton-wharton-and-morgan and Joseph Simon of Lancaster, PA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Simon_(1712%E2%80%931804) were active in trading in the Ohio country after the F&I War.

These Pennsylvania traders and trading companies likely introduced the Pennsylvania longrifle to the Indians in Ohio country at some time.  Another avenue for Indians in Ohio to become familiar with Pennsylvania rifles was through Delaware and Shawnee Indians that had relocated from Pennsylvania to Ohio country before and after the F&I War.

These independent Pennsylvania traders had been competition to the French traders in the Ohio country prior to the F&I War and likely continued to be an aggravation to the Montreal based British traders after.  It is possible that the British merchants in Montreal are the ones that started having Kentucky rifles made in England to compete with these Pennsylvania traders who were invading "their territory".  On the other hand, it could have easily been New York or Philadelphia merchants that were looking for a cheaper source of rifle, than Lancaster made rifles, that initiated the English made Kentucky rifle.

Whoever initiated them, the market for them was undoubtedly the Ohio country.  From Board of Ordnance records, De Witt Bailey listed a dozen rifles shipped from London to Quebec in 1778.  Regular shipments were made each year after that--320 in 1779, 400 in 1780, 300 in 1781, and 250 in 1782.

Bailey found far fewer rifles shipped to the South.  Compare the above numbers to only 65 rifles being shipped from London to Pensacola in 1778 and 30 rifles in 1779.

From about 1756 until after the Rev. War, Richard Wilson and later his son, William, was the sole contractor to the British government for Indian guns.  We have surviving English pattern trade rifles of Types A, B, and C by Barnett, Ketland, Grice, and Wheeler.  Bailey considered the possibility that Grice might have been a subcontractor to Wilson for government contracts, but also acknowledged that Grice may have made rifles for the private market.  Barnett, Wheeler, and Ketland are also likely to have made their rifles for the private market.  Barnett is known to have made trade guns for the North West Company and Ketland made trade guns for either NWC or another Montreal based fur company (they have the "circle fox" stamped on the lock and sometimes the barrel).  So again, it would be interesting to know if any of the Ketland & Co. marked rifles were shipped to Canada.

I have a question concerning another type of rifle made by Ketland & Co.  Jim Gordon has this rifle in his collection that he identified and a trade rifle.

Studying it, it had some military characteristics to me such as the belled upper ramrod thimble.  The comb is much more pronounce that the other Ketland trade rifles, too.

Then I got a copy of De Witt Bailey's book and saw this illustration on page 95.  The middle and bottom rifle are described as copies of the Norwegian Model 1791 cavalry carbine.  The middle rifle has a lock plate marked "Ketland & Co." in script.  Even though there are some slight differences between the rifle in Bailey's book and the one in Gordon's collection, they appear to be the same pattern.

Bailey doesn't discuss the Ketland cavalry carbine in the body of the text--just the picture caption.

Joe, I was wondering if you came across any information on this Ketland cavalry carbine and a possible date of manufacture for it?
Phil Meek

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 04:42:00 PM »
The export licenses aren't very specific...they will say "fowlers" or "pistols" or "rifles" but there is no real distinction as to how many were crude trade or farmer quality and how many were better grade guns. As to shipments to Canada, I know of only one. That surprised me but it may be that the Canadian suppliers held on to that market after the Revolution. Off hand, I do not remember what the Canadian shipment was but it will be recorded. Shipments to Canada required the same license as shipments to the US so if thay and done business there it would have been recorded.

The carbines are interesting in that "carbines" are listed but, again with any further description. I've wondered what they were and this may be the answer. Keep in mind that there were mounted militia units. After the Revolution and before the War of 1812 the US had no mounted service arm - the idea was to rely entirely on militia for that service if needed. Militiamen had to provide their own arms so there was a steady demand for sabers, pistols and carbines...

Oh, and these are effectively, the Board of Trade papers. At this point the Privy Council was acting in that role through Sir Stephen Cotrell who was eventually appointed to a permanent position at the Board. It was all quite nebulous in the period up to the War of 1812, with potentially overlapping responsibilities. Because the US was independent it's affairs were no longer in the purview of the Foreign Office - and because there was no commercial treaty, they didn't come directly under the board of Trade so the PC was a fall-back solution.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 05:22:08 PM »
The export licenses aren't very specific...they will say "fowlers" or "pistols" or "rifles" but there is no real distinction as to how many were crude trade or farmer quality and how many were better grade guns.

I'm curious for my research.  Do the records actually say "fowlers" or fowling pieces?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2021, 05:50:30 PM »
A good question. Offhand, I think both terms are used but I'll check my records. I had to transcribe most of the licenses by hand as the Privy Council Registers are huge books and not amenable to photographing the pages. I was careful to use the exact working they used so I'm confident that I will have recorded it correctly.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2021, 06:18:42 PM »
Thank you for checking. This will be an interesting find as all 18th century references I've seen to "fowlers" were to the person who hunts fowls and not the firearm. It was also the name for a piece of field artillery.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:27:09 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Seth Isaacson

• Library_mod
    • Black Powder Historian
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2021, 07:28:56 PM »
For those interested, "English rifles" are noted in American Fur Company ledgers from after the War of 1812 in the Midwest that I have examined, so English made rifles were being sent to St. Louis and elsewhere. They are noted separately from "trade guns" and "American rifles" from what I recall, but I'd have to go back and look to say for sure how they were listed.
I am the Lead Historian and a Firearms Specialist at Rock Island Auction Co., but I am here out of my own personal interests in muzzle loading and history.
*All opinions expressed are mine alone and are NOT meant to represent those of any other entity unless otherwise expressly stated.*

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2021, 10:24:36 PM »
I think the salient point that nearly all collectors fail to take into consideration is that the English (and American) gunmakers were in it for the money. If they could make a product that sold and they made a profit - they would do it. Making American-style rifles in England - for sale in America – is perfectly logical but I suspect that it involved costs - primarily making the barrels - that compromised the profitability. Otherwise, there would be a lot more of them. Could the English make them  – of course. Could them make them cheaply enough to justify the costs of transportation – maybe not.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 05:16:29 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2021, 11:22:05 PM »
I think the salient point that nearly all collectors fail to take into consideration is that the English (and American) gunmakers were in it for the money. If they could make a product that sold and the made a profit - they would do it.

AHMEN!
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964