Author Topic: Suggested diameter for a round timber ( ball) short starter handle?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Bluesmoke

• Starting Member
Hi Guys,
Haven't clocked in for quite a while. I hope all you blokes are good as you can be despite the Virus.

I broke the handle/knob on my short starter this week and a fellow shooter on the next  bench was good enough to share his starter with me.

His  starter had a round hardwood ball handle and the most comfortable starter I have ever used. I should have measured the ball but forgot to do so.

I have little hands the palm area being 3.5 x 4 inches.

I am determined to make my own starter handle  as many muzzle loading accessories cannot be had locally at the moment.The  normal places to purchase such equipment are out of everything and don't expect to be re stocked for some time .Overseas  Freight costs are though the roof If anything is available from your side of the pond..

Anyway I will attempt to turn the ball on my 12" metal turning lathe from a section of  Australian Curly Gum, one of our local hardwoods.

Does a 2 1/4" diameter seem appropriate to those who have sort starters with a wooden  round ball handle?

Thanks in anticipation

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Suggested diameter for a round timber ( ball) short starter handle?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 02:59:37 PM »
That sounds a bit big to me. I have ones that are around 1-1/2" - 2". If you have a craft store near then go and get a "feel" for a good size and buy one or two they are cheap. I buy mine from Michaels Craft Store.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Hutch

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 03:38:19 PM »
I can try and remember to measure mine when I get home.  Why not turn it to the larger size and see how you like it, can always make it smaller 🤷‍♂️

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 11:19:00 PM »
I just measured mine. 1 3/4". Don't think I would go any larger.

Dale H

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 11:31:17 PM »
I never found a ball shaped starter head to be at all comfortable. For a bunch of years I’ve used a chunk of sledgehammer handle. About the width of your palm or a touch less. It being oval in cross section I would install the peg from the flattened site of the oval. Resulting in a T shaped starter. While your in the starter making business you might try one if these. I bet you won’t dislike it. BJH
BJH

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 01:46:14 AM »
I also don't like the round wood ball for several reasons. Here are some other ways you can make one in just a few minutes. The last picture is of picture number one after it has evolved over the years, both worked just fine.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Bluesmoke

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 08:11:15 AM »
Hi guys,
Thank you for the replies.

No craft shop near where I live, so a do it yourself  manufacture while be necessary.

The round ball is best for me as a tee handle or similar don't work best  with arthritis and carpal tunnel ailments.

Using the starter I was lent, I found using it pain free for me.

I was looking at an old type round doorknob but not able to find find one in what passes as a hardware store these days. Lots of junk but nothing suitable.

The old fashioned hardware shops are gone and the box store are crammed full of poor quality rubbish.

I shall  try some scrap  timber first for suitable diameters.

Bluesmoke.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 03:17:59 PM »
If you have painful arthritis in your hand, you might try something like mine. It has a spring fitted over the shaft to cushion the blow of the handle hitting the muzzle at the end of the stoke. Don't know where I got the idea, may have been here on this site. Anyway, if you are interested, I can take a picture and post it here. Might give you some ideas.

Dale H

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 03:51:38 AM »
I'm pretty sure the ball starters sold by Track of the Wolf are made by Treso:

I have a couple of them.  The balls are 1-3/4", or slightly over 44mm in diameter.  This size seems pretty comfortable on the palm.

These don't cost much, but if they aren't available, the price is irrelevant. 

Good luck to you!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Bluesmoke

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 04:30:45 AM »
Hi Dale,
I am also receptive to any idea that might make for less pain for me when loading.
Yes Please  I would like to see a pic of your short starter idea.

Notchy Bob,
Great minds must think alike. I dug out an old TOW catalogue and scaled a short starter from it, and I got a similar measurement.

Thanks again
Bluesmoke

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 03:39:31 PM »

The starter is based on a hollow cleaning rod. First I cut it off and threaded it for a cleaning jag which seats the ball. Then I removed the plastic T-handle and mounted the ball in its place. 

Then I found a spring in my junk box that seemed to fit OK. Below the spring is a chrome plated brass fitting, also from the junk box, which I believe was originally part of a water closet supply pipe. It fits inside the bore of the gun to protect the bore and serves as a stop for the spring. The brass thingy on the ball is used to seat the ball just below the crown so I can cut the patches.

The starter is longer that normal so I can use it as a ramrod and cleaning rod for my pistols.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Dale H

Offline heinz

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 10:13:58 PM »
I like a ball, 1 3/4 inch to 1 1/2 inch.  But it should be large enough that if you try to aim the gun with the starter in the muzzle it interferes with the sights.  I also like a ball that size on the end of my range rod, for the same reason.

kind regards, heinz

Offline Bluesmoke

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2021, 12:20:43 PM »
Thank you Dale,

I have got the bits and pieces to give your design a try.Well, all I guess except the toilet dodadd  which I can substitute with brass.

I spoke to my range buddy and he  measured his short starter and says 47mm which is around 1 7/8" by my guesstimate.

Thank you  gentlemen, all,  for your time taken to post all your  pics.

Bluesmoke

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 07:29:21 AM »
I made mine from 1 1/2 inch maple ball from wood source bin.  Both the nub to seat patch and the started shaft are oak dowel.  No metal on the starter.  Drilled both the nub and starter shaft end so they cup the ball.  Figured if they wore out I drill them out and put in replacements for a few minutes work.  12 years later they are still servicable and wood is easier on crown and rifling than brass.

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 09:05:59 PM »
I make a lot of my short starters with brass or wood shafts threaded for a jag. I use 1 1/2" maple balls for the handle but I sand 4 flats on the side of the ball which makes it square with a rounded top. Reason being it keeps from rolling off the loading table.
Mark

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 07:31:44 PM »
I usually like to use the base from a moose antler which I grind down on my belt sander to shape it nicely.  The antler base is solid bone and that adds mass to the starter so it is easier to start the patched ball.  So I'd say they are about 2" across.  But for small bored rifles, I often use a section of the tyne of an antler.  I have used both ends of a baseball bat too.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.