Author Topic: Pan charger question  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Smokin dave

• Starting Member
Pan charger question
« on: August 14, 2021, 05:29:39 PM »
Looking for a pan charger that will last more than a year.  I use the brass chargers that throw bout 3 grains.  I empty them after each shooting session to eliminate corrosion issues but still have problems.  Ted Cash charger worth the money?  What do y'all recommend?

Offline Frank

Re: Pan charger question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 05:34:02 PM »
Get a small flat priming horn. I have one in each of my shooting bags. Works better than any of those plunger things.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 05:51:17 PM »
I also use a flat priming horn.  Tossed those brass things a long time ago as they are nothing but a PITA to me.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 06:27:07 PM »
I was going to reply but Frank & Dave said it all. Dump the brass chargers they are all junk and buy a nice flat priming horn. Several people on this site will make one for you. here are a couple I have in my bags. For my poorboy/barn guns I like something a little more primitive see last two pictures for these.

wins smileys
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 07:37:20 PM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 08:16:30 PM »
It appears I am one lucky boy.
I have three of those little three grain charger tips - one for each of my bags - and none of them has ever given a moment's trouble.  The oldest is likely well over 20 years old.  They are each mounted in a stubby moose antler tip and, even though they might not have the eye appeal of a priming horn, I find them much more convenient to use. Each has a vent pick and small pan brush attached by a short lanyard and they slip easily into the pocket when on the line.
I still have my priming horn, but doubt I will ever use it again.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 08:27:50 PM »
I still have two little push-spout brass chargers, and like them and use them at the range when I have any 4F, that is.  But this one is my favorite for the field.  Not fancy but small, neat and efficient.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 09:22:28 PM »
I have a couple of the brass plunger types and like mine but about once a year i take them apart and clean them up, The plunger starts to stick and I will lose the rest of the prime in the flask portion.  And yes, when they are working proper I hang them around my neck with storage in a shirt pocket. I can't do that with some of the small priming horns.  :)

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 09:46:16 PM »
That brass charger hanging around your neck is a quarter stick of explosive. Just a little 4f leaking out and a flintlock spark.....well you get the idea. Put it in your coat pocket or better yet in your bag where it belongs.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline EC121

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 10:27:09 PM »
I use the brass chargers, but I solder a nail on them to keep the spout out of the pan fouling.  They need a cleaning once in a while but not often.  If you will give the spout a few turns now and then, it won't stick.  I lay it on the table(on the side opposite the vent) or the tailgate(away from the bench) when target shooting or keep it in my bag's small pocket(spout up) when hunting.  I don't prime until I see game.
Brice Stultz

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 10:49:01 PM »
Sorry MM but my primer belongs in my shirt pocket when I'm not priming with it. Its been there since the middle to late 60s IIRC. I feel safer doing that than driving on the Interstate or in Metro. Life has its risks.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 11:05:48 PM »
S.G. you're obviously growed up and haired over so do what you think is best. It is the old "Medic" in me that brings these things to light. Still remember the pictures of what was left of a welder who left his Bic lighter in his front pocket (again that 1/4 stick of explosive thing), there were pieces of him scattered all over. Didn't mean to make you grumpy just pointing out what I thought everyone knew. 
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 12:41:10 AM »
Hi MM, not grumpy but opinionated and experienced.  :D Certified Range officer, Hunter Safety Instructor, worked with explosives and an old "Medic" my self. Please note in my first post that I said " when they are working proper ". This is why I take them apart when they start to feel sticky or get gummed up and clean them . I for sure don't want to loose all my prime OR have an unintentional detonation. Your desire to promote safety is good and I feel safe in MY system for my use.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 12:55:42 AM »
It's all good S.G. I do stand corrected in not noting your attention to keeping them clean and working properly. My old Ted Cash primer (that I put on a blanket prize a few years ago) had a friction fit end cap just incase something did happen the end would just blow out and save a detonation effect. Have a great day and thanks for keeping me straight. Yes safety first is all of our goals.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 02:12:57 AM »
 The coil spring primers are junk, and in my opinion dangerous, because in humid, or damp weather they collect powder on the end, just waiting for a spark. But I’ve seen some nice copies of antique primers, with external flat springs, and exposed lever/spout gates, that seem pretty good.

Hungry Horse

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 07:32:51 AM »
I've used both types on the range and in the woods with good success.  I do prefer a priming horn in wet weather.  The brass tip seems a little more susceptible  to gumming up than a horn.

Offline alacran

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2021, 03:14:54 PM »
I have one of the small brass chargers, that I keep in my shooting box. I do not believe I have ever used it. It is full of 4f powder. I tried using one years ago.
Never had a problem with function. However they do not carry enough powder, for a 25 shot match. My late friend Bruce Schwindt used a little plastic bottle
with a closeable spout, which he wrapped in leather for rendezvous. I started using the same, for shooting matches. It holds enough to last me for a few months worth of shooting.
The small black horn is my rendezvous horn. Good enough for about 20 shots. I just acquired the one made from a Pronghorn horn. I have to make a plug for it.
I always carry whatever I use in my back pocket or in my shot bag.
As far as the plastic one goes to me it seems to be the safest. The color makes it easy to find.

download instagram photos high quality

download instagram photo downloader
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2021, 03:21:26 PM »
I have priming containers made from horn, antler, animal bones and even a couple of the brass plunger tipped ones.  The brass cylinders did scare me after hearing about a couple of "grenade" type accidents, so I installed blowout plugs in them.  I still don't use them much anymore.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2021, 05:59:52 PM »
I use a little flask.   It holds a year's supply of 4F.  It slips in my back pocket so it is safe when I shoot.  I got it when I was 13 and never changed.  I think it was the only thing available at the shop at the time I was there. 

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/2203/category_id/331/product_name/HA0340+Plain+Eagle+Flask+-+Copper

I also have a little cylindrical type.  It works too.  Some people think they are dangerous. 

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 04:59:28 AM »
I use priming horns made by Spark Mumma.  They work and look great.  You can get them for well under $100.  But it seems the used ones can be sold on here for over $200!!  Go figure.

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 06:49:02 AM »
Keith, do you have contact info for Spark Mumma?

Or is he on this site?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »
Here’s one I use. Kinda the best of both worlds.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2021, 04:48:17 AM »

Got this wee horn full of 4F ….and it goes in and out of that belt bag ,when I shoot.

Offline Not English

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2021, 02:28:09 AM »
There's been a lot of nice priming horns shown. What's not been asked is, is there a need? I've got a nice small flat horn that I use, but that has now evolved into a hunting use primarily. I shoot 3fg in all my guns. I can't tell any difference between 3fg & 4fg ignition times, so I prime with my powder horn to keep things simple. My priming horn gets used when hunting where I can carry it along with 2 or 3 premeasured powder loads and a loading block with balls and lubed patches. All this fits in my hunting coat's pockets, keeping things really simple with no possibles bag needed.

Dave

Offline Smokin dave

• Starting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2021, 03:50:10 AM »
Are priming horns historically correct?  Did they charge the pan from their powder horn?  Now that I think about it I'm sure they only used the same powder due to availability.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2021, 03:12:49 PM »
I carry a priming horn for use with my paper cartridges.