Author Topic: Buttplate Question  (Read 3103 times)

greymount

Buttplate Question
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »
I am in the process of building a Lancaster pre-carved rifle.  The buttplate I plan on using is in the Dickert style, however, the plate hangs over the bottom of the stock about 1/2 inch.  The buttstock area has already been cut and the trigger pull is about 13 and 1/4.  I wish I had it a little longer but it would make a nice winter gun.  What I plan on doing is to cut the excess of the plate with a jewelers saw and file to shape.  I also expect to add a toe plate when the buttplate is attached. Is this the best way to complete this?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Buttplate Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »
I don't know that  is the best way, but I can't think of anything else you could do ...... just don't cut it off until you have everything fitted ...things change............
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »
Hacksaw or a cold chisel would work faster.  You may also want to re-shape the profile to give a narrower toe and to keep the ovberall shape, so the widest part is still the same proportion from the top of the comb, etc.  The buttplate dictates the shape of the buttstock.  Or in this case I guess the buttstock is pre-shaped, so the rules are reversed.
Andover, Vermont

billd

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:21:48 PM »
Cast butt plates have a concave inside. If you going to shorten or narrow it make sure you file it flat before you inlet it. At least enough flat to contact the wood properly.

Bill

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:16:10 PM »
Grey,

I have done that on every rifle I have ever built. 

Install your but plate and mak sure it is fitted to the but nice and tight.  Then make your toe plate and fit it onto the stock BEFORE you trim the butt plate down.  This will take judicious filing where the toe plate meets the but plate to get the fit and angles right.  But it can be done!  Sometimes you will find that the butt plate rim extends further than the inner surface of the butt plate making the butt plate kind of hollow.  This makes it easier to fit the butt plate to the stock but can leave a hollow spot at the bottom of the butt plate when you cut it off.  I just fill that hollow spot in with a scrap of brass filed to fit nice and snug, soldered with tin/silver soft solder.

Once the toe plate is installed I use a hack saw to file off the excess butt plate and dress down with files.  It all is quite easy to do. 

Best Regards,

John Cholin

hammer

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 11:31:25 PM »
Mmmmm.   Sounds similar to a problem I had.   Mine was far too narrow.  After much deliberation I consigned the original to the spares box and ordered another that was a better fit.   The Track of the Wolf catalogue was great for this.  Pages of them and they are all printed life-size.   

Good luck.
Peter.