Author Topic: Colorado Elk Hunting Question, (with regard to patch lube)  (Read 1643 times)

Offline RickH

• Starting Member
Colorado Elk Hunting Question, (with regard to patch lube)
« on: August 19, 2021, 04:28:29 AM »
I'm going to hunt Elk in Colorado this year, (and I normally hunt Minnesota and Wisconsin with my 58 cal. flintlock). 
I've been reading several of the posts here on different lubes and such, and I normally hunt with TOW mink oil, and I shoot targets with mixture of ballistol/water, when shooting all day for ease of loading, as several of you here on this site do. 
The question I have is.  Do you guys that hunt in the hot weather, high altitude & low humidity do anything different with your lube; and do those of you using mink oil unload your flintlock every day so that the mink oil melting won't contaminate the powder?  I will also be getting there a couple days early to shoot and try some of your suggestions.

Thanks,
Rick

Offline Daniel Coats

Re: Colorado Elk Hunting Question, (with regard to patch lube)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 04:37:28 AM »
Whatever you're used to doing will work fine here in Colorado. I wouldn't change a thing. Just get close and stay calm but don't overthink the shot because you won't have a ton of time.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 05:53:11 AM »
Daniel is wright, don't over think it. Days are warm nights are cold. Can be snow.

If it makes you feel better use a thin felt wad over the powder.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 03:35:56 PM by Bsharp »
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline RickH

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 06:25:17 AM »
Thanks guys, after reading all of the previous posts, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking something!!
I did get into 18" of snow last year, out there for the archery season, and that was a big change from previous years!!
Happy Hunting and thanks again,
Rick

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 06:26:17 AM »
Daniel and Bsharp hit the nail on the head. Our horse camp for elk is at about 6000 feet above sea level. Seen everything from shirt sleeves to 20 below. Stick with the mink oil works well, works every time, If not raining or snowing no need to pull or shoot out your load every day. Good luck, shoot one so big you don't have to lie about it.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 02:48:56 PM »
I live in Durango Colorado an use Mink Oil with no problem. The only thing I would strongly suggest is to sight your rifle in when you get here. The high altitude with thin air would most likely cause your groups to be a bit high
I'm moving back to Pennsylvania next year and could have the reverse problem with my groups
Good luck with your hunt

Offline RickH

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 04:44:09 PM »
Thank you for the information guys, I really appreciate it.  I just wanted to make sure I was on the right path with my setup.
I'm sticking with my normal setup of mink oil then (I was over thinking the setup)! 
Good luck on your hunts this season!!
Rick

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 02:25:06 AM »
Daniel and Bsharp hit the nail on the head. Our horse camp for elk is at about 6000 feet above sea level. Seen everything from shirt sleeves to 20 below. Stick with the mink oil works well, works every time, If not raining or snowing no need to pull or shoot out your load every day. Good luck, shoot one so big you don't have to lie about it.

Neetsfoot Oil worked about as well, in my .69.  Shoot it off into an elk(moose) then clean that night, afterwards. I used a "barrier" thin wad (between patched ball and powder) when moose hunting
back in the 80's. I stopped doing that, as when tested later, there was no noticeable change in POI or report from a long-loaded load, with no barrier.
Some guns, my .40 and .45 for instance, changed point of impact with a wad between powder and ball, as well as opening up the group slightly. The .69 showed no such 'change'. Testing both would
be a good idea if you are thinking of a barrier wad or patch.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline RickH

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 03:52:57 AM »
Daryl, thank you for chiming in here.  I'll be shooting a 58 caliber Jaeger that I built a few years back.  I've had very good success with the mink oil and now with the information that you guys have provided me with, I will stick to the mink oil and not worry about the long-loaded load, and just get after the elk.  I guess that I over-thunk it by doing too much research on patches and lubes & thinking that the high temp & high altitude would be a big change.  I'm getting there a couple of days early to shoot and get acclimated to the altitude (8000' to 9300'), I'm retired so I have the time.
Thanks again,
Rick

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 04:37:23 AM »
Use a decent load and you will have no problems. I was going to mention as well, that we found no migration problems in our small
bore rifles as well, when bunny hunting.
For fast second shots, I used tapered paper ctgs., 2 wraps of .003" paper, same charge, but with hardened balls. They were very snug
in the bore and shot to the same poi at 100yards, as same charge and soft lead ball patched in denim.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 05:42:52 AM »
Use a decent load and you will have no problems. I was going to mention as well, that we found no migration problems in our small
bore rifles as well, when bunny hunting.
For fast second shots, I used tapered paper ctgs., 2 wraps of .003" paper, same charge, but with hardened balls. They were very snug
in the bore and shot to the same poi at 100yards, as same charge and soft lead ball patched in denim.

This is my suggestion also. If you have ever been on the run and tried to reload, with this tapered paper cartridge, it is very possible.
A double lunged elk heading down hill can travel quite a ways.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 03:00:53 PM »
Down here in Georgia I have experienced lube migration down into my powder charge a few times. What I do now is after pouring in my powder, I tear a wasp nest into small pieces and drop them down on top of the powder. Then seat my patch and ball.
After I started doing this I haven't experienced any more lube migration.
Won't hurt to try it.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline RickH

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 04:56:17 PM »
Daryl, Bsharp & Darkhorse, thank you for the information, I will try the paper for the second shot, (and I have plenty of time to get it setup before the hunt).  I have double lunged elk with an arrow, and I'm always amazed at how far they can run like that. 
I also happen to have a huge wasp nest that I've got to take down and that gives me more reason to get after it, and try that technique as well.  MuskratMike & Smoke and flames, thank you as well!
This all great information and I can't thank you guys enough for all of the helpful information!!

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 06:26:28 PM »
This is how to make the Tapered paper Cartridges.

http://rjrenner.blogspot.com/p/tapered-paper-cartridges.html

Any Questions, just ask.

Offline RickH

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2021, 09:14:14 PM »
Bsharp,
Thank you for the link, I'll definitely give that a try!!
Rick

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 05:31:35 PM »
Like Darkhorse, I use a few flakes of wasp's nest between powder and patched ball for long term loaded, like when hunting.

Offline RickH

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 02:57:13 AM »
Thank you Pukka!