Author Topic: Pan charger question  (Read 3190 times)

Offline alacran

Re: Pan charger question
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2021, 03:33:16 PM »
There's been a lot of nice priming horns shown. What's not been asked is, is there a need? I've got a nice small flat horn that I use, but that has now evolved into a hunting use primarily. I shoot 3fg in all my guns. I can't tell any difference between 3fg & 4fg ignition times, so I prime with my powder horn to keep things simple. My priming horn gets used when hunting where I can carry it along with 2 or 3 premeasured powder loads and a loading block with balls and lubed patches. All this fits in my hunting coat's pockets, keeping things really simple with no possibles bag needed.

Dave
When I hunt I do not use a horn at all. That is unless I'm doing a HC hunt back East where I'm mostly just sitting on my butt. We dress the part so we carry horns and such. But since we are hunting in postage stamp size properties, the only time a horn and bag is going to get hung up in brush, is when retrieving game.
Here in AZ I just  have a a cartridge box on my belt that holds five paper cartridges. It has a short starter attached to it. I use a five shot ball block that hangs from my neck. I use the orange plastic bottle shown in my previous post to prime with. It stays in my pocket.
Hunting out west involves mostly spot and stalk in my area. Usually I cover an average of 6 miles a day. Don't need a bunch of stuff hanging all over me.
Day pack and binoculars are a must though.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2021, 01:01:13 AM »
Are priming horns historically correct?  Did they charge the pan from their powder horn?  Now that I think about it I'm sure they only used the same powder due to availability.

Interesting read: http://flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/Published/priminghorns_mb.htm

Tim C.

Offline Smokin dave

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2021, 01:59:54 AM »
Interesting read.  The article basically supported what I was thinking.  I was thinking they used one horn and one powder.  You either took what was offered or did without. 

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 05:33:54 AM »
Let me start out by saying I believe all this to be true that the priming horn is a semi-modern invention. That being said I find it cumbersom to fill the pan from a horn without overfilling it. As I use 3F that is a moot point. I just like priming horns especially if they look the age and style of my rifle and bag.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2021, 07:03:49 AM »
Smokin Dave, I have had this little priming horn about 38 years the best I can recall and it still works just fine.

It only has a 3/32 hole where the priming comes out, so it doesn’t spill powder all over the place. The stopper is a short piece of brazing rod that fits in a short section of horn fit in the filler hole.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 07:19:04 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2021, 02:34:21 PM »
The reason I use either 4f or Null B for priming is that when shooting in competition when the flint gets worn that one little spark it has left in it will set off the finer priming powder that I believe wouldn't set off 2 or 3f.  I believe the reason some people think 2 or 3f in the pan is as fast as 4f or Null B is when they have a good shower of sparks There probably isn't much of a discernable difference.

I have the brass cylindrical primer and it can be a PITA at times.  I keep a pipe cleaner to keep the fouling out of it.  I want a nice little old timey looking priming flask and am itching to buy one but I would like it to be good and airtight.

As far as the "pipe bomb" thing goes about the brass primers I always have it out of the way when I shoot. It is always on my mind.  I have been thinking about making me a tight plug to replace the screw in rear cap for a "blow out" plug. Hopefully a detonation would be a little less painful.

Bob
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 02:38:47 PM by Bob Hatfield »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2021, 05:21:45 AM »
I've made a bunch of fairly plain priming (or salt) horns out of cut off tips of horns that were not good for one reason or another.

Then I have made some fancier ones as well.......

I like them all......I just never seem to use them for priming.....not sure why.....?
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 02:47:50 PM »
Now you are just showing off, Dave.

Seriously, those are awesome.

On the fifth picture I see some letters on the brass insert. Did you engrave it, or is it a recycled center fire cartridge case?

Dale H

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2021, 11:49:15 PM »
Dale,

The engraving is my name and the date that I made the horn.  I machine all the inserts and the brass bases of the cascabel for these small horns.  On the full size horns I make all the threaded parts in wood.  I use a lot of ebony and it machines a lot like metal.  Nice clean threads, etc.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline duca

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2021, 02:35:20 AM »
Dave those Horns are Beautiful!! I want one!

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...