Author Topic: Jim Chambers Golden Age Lock  (Read 1644 times)

Offline jgraham1

Jim Chambers Golden Age Lock
« on: December 09, 2021, 12:54:26 AM »
All,

Looking at converting my JC Golden Age flint lock to a percussion lock.  I know, it is sacrilege, but I am looking at the options.  Is the only thing done to the flint lock is adding the percussion hammer and converting the pan to a cutout for the drum?  I know the frizzen and spring come off, but do any other parts on the lock need to be changed also?  I had heard that the mainspring and the tumbler also have to be replaced.  Thanks.

Jerry

Offline Daryl

Re: Jim Chambers Golden Age Lock
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 12:59:14 AM »
The cock will also have to be changed. ;)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 01:03:22 AM »
The cock will also have to be changed. ;)

Check the tumbler hole it's not the same for a percussion hammer. Hammer angle is entirely different.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline jgraham1

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 01:10:02 AM »
The cock is the hammer on a flint, correct?  It appears from the number of parts to replace, and the cost, it might be best to buy his converted percussion lock and sell the flint lock.

Jerry

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 01:43:44 AM »
Hi Jerry,
Is this lock already on a gun or are you starting on one?  I am not sure why anyone would say you need a new mainspring and tumbler.  The key is that the throw of the percussion hammer may be a little different from the flint cock.  Throw is the arc of travel it makes from full cock to down on the nipple.  You should be able to assure that throw is right with any tumbler by how the square hole in the percussion hammer is oriented.  If you are making a new gun and the lock is not inlet yet, I would urge you to sell the flintlock and buy the percussion conversion.  However, if your changing the lock on an existing gun then a new lock may not fit the mortise exactly particularly if the maker filed the lock plate during fitting.  In that case it might be better to convert the existing lock. 

dave     
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 02:07:01 AM »
Let's not call something that actually happened historically as a sacrilege. Conversions happened and happened a lot. It wasn't as much a throwaway society then as it is now.
Psalms 144

Offline jgraham1

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 03:22:58 AM »
Hey Smart Dog,

Thanks for the info.  In this case, the lock has already been inlet into the stock.  I am wanting to change it to percussion.  I called a company that sells the Chamber Percussion lock and parts for the locks.  When I spoke to them, they advised me that the hammer, tumbler and mainspring needed to be changed out also.  I thought that it was a little odd, so called the Chambers lock and spoke to a woman there.  Chambers was not in the office at the time.  She also said that all three needed to be changed out and that it would be easier to buy the percussion lock itself.  She said that the mainspring needed to be moved.  I am confused by all of this, as if you order parts from Chambers, they are all interchangeable for the Golden Age, except for specific flint/percussion parts.  However, the mainspring and tumbler are the same product number.  Hense my confusion.  I was hoping someone here had done a conversion on this specific lock before and could explain it to me.   Hope that makes it clearer.

Jerry

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 04:26:17 AM »
Hi Jerry,
I would trust Chambers and go with what they recommend.  I am just curious why the tumbler and mainspring need to be changed as well. 

dave

Birddog6

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 05:35:24 AM »
Jim makes a Converted Golden Age lock. I sold one on here last month. Since you are not familiar
with locks, I suggest buying the conversion lock & then sell the Flintlock.
You are going to need a Drum & a drum drilling jig, tap, etc. I would ask them exactly what you
need & get it all from him if you can.

Offline JHeath

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 06:21:06 AM »
Let's not call something that actually happened historically as a sacrilege. Conversions happened and happened a lot. It wasn't as much a throwaway society then as it is now.

Sorry, but it was sacrilege in 1840 too. ;^]

Offline jgraham1

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 04:35:13 PM »
Thanks all.  Spoke with the Chambers staff again.  Seems the mainspring does sit slightly different due to the drum cutout.  With all the work to make the flintlock fit, it is best to buy the percussion lock.

Jerry

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 05:47:18 PM »
Hi Jerry,
That makes sense.  Sure, the mainspring stud on Siler locks (which the golden age lock is) abuts the bolster right under the pan.  When that portion of the bolster is removed for the cut out for the drum, the mainspring has to change as well.

dave

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 08:08:04 AM »

Sorry, but it was sacrilege in 1840 too. ;^]

Not when it was the monetarily and pragmatically wise thing to do. Far different reality then and now.
Psalms 144

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 12:08:29 PM »
The great folks at Chambers are trustworthy and would not steer you wrong. Calling them was a good move.  You spoke with either Barbie or Karen.  God bless, Marc