General discussion > Gun Building

Making an early Peter Berry

<< < (18/18)

smart dog:
Hi,
I got a little more done.  It will be a few days before I can get back to the Berry. I shaped the fore stock molding.  It was fun.  I believe Berry used a gouge to give it a concave surface.  The unevenness of his molding suggests to me it was a gouge not some sort of molding plane.

The first task was making sure my initial simple fore stock molding was even along the ramrod channel. Many folks use jigs and guides for this kind of task but just used a gouge like Berry.  My photos are after the fact so they just show the tools.  I often get the task done before remembering the camera.  My gouge is razor sharp and sliced through the maple very evenly like cutting butter.

I smoothed the cuts with a round scraper and then cut the parallel line with a Gunline 60 degree double checkering cutter. 

Then I widened the border line with a 90 degree Dembart bordering file and I was done.  It appears that Berry just let the molding peter out at the muzzle, which I did.

The rifle looks very sleek and the fore stock is long and slim.

dave

Osprey:
Starting to wonder if Dave has a side gig as Santa and has taken off from gun building until after Christmas.   ;D

smart dog:
Hi Osprey,
I had to put it aside for quite a while to complete a Brown Bess and take care of non gun related business.  The Bess is taking more time because I am completely restocking an old Pedersoli rather just reworking it, which was the original plan. I've posted a thread on the Bess here:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/turning-a-pedersoli-bess-into-a-dublin-castle-short-land-musket.138872/

dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version