Author Topic: WTK- Builder to retro Percussion back to Flintlock???  (Read 3437 times)

AZ Longrifle

WTK- Builder to retro Percussion back to Flintlock???
« on: September 20, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »
I have a BP Rifle from PA that was built in the 1750-60 era and converted to Percussion in the 1850s. I'd like to get it rebuilt back to Flint.
I'd like a builder in the SW US if there is one around here? I'm rebuilding the wood now.
Thank you.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: WTK- Builder to retro Percussion back to Flintlock???
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
If your gun is truly a 1750/60s era PA gun, that dates it back to the origins of the American rifle, and extreme consideration should be given before doing anything to it. I’m not saying don’t do it, just that you need to be absolutely positive and correct in the work you do.

Jack Brooks in Colorado is excellent with early flint restorations. http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/repertoire.htm

Any chance you could post some pictures of your gun?
John

John Robbins

AZ Longrifle

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
Thank you for the contact. I have the wood being repaired by a Wood repairman.
He's very good, works and repairs wood furniture for Museums and collectors.
I have the barrel. I'll get some pics of the rifle once I get the stock back with the cracks repaired.

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »
I second JTR's comments.  As he says, if it's truly from that time period, it's among the rarest of the rare.

Should you decide to go ahead with with a reconversion,  Jack is definitely my first choice for the job.  He could also give you an expert assessment to confirm your beliefs as to the gun's origins.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

AZ Longrifle

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »
The only reason I'm considering it as to the overall condition of the rifle.
It was trashed by years of use and foolish use by kids, not me or mine, in dry firing it on the nipple.
The set-trigger was messed up and I repaired that pretty easily. The wood was dried out and has a number of crack and stress fractures in it. It looks that the original wood was reused from another older rifle and the barrel retapped and converted to percussion. I'm planning on shooting it more as I know from firing it previously, it works.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »
AZ,

First of all, where are you living in AZ.  I'm in East Mesa.

I understand the romance of an old original gun.  I also understand why you'd want to restore and shoot it..... Yeah, Ol' Betsy belonged to my GGGG grand dad, who was a market hunter in Penn. 250 yrs ago, and I'm still using his rifle, etc,.

As far as restoration... with in certain parameters... just turned a valuable collectable into junk parts.  Be careful who you allow to work on this thing.

As far as shooting, bad idea.  One one hand, for the same reason listed above.  One the second hand, well, you may only have one hand.  Rust, hidden corrosion , etc, etc.  Just not worth the romance. 

I sincerely hope you can come to a final compromise that keeps the old girls value around for another 250 years, and keeps all your fingers on your hands.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:20:07 PM »
I'm sure a lot of guys here, myself included, will look forward to the pictures!

So you're thinking the stock has been reused from an older gun. Do you know if the wood is Maple, either curly or not. Or is it walnut?

Just curious, why do you think it dates to the 1750/60s?

Is there any name engraved or stamped any place on the barrel, or lock plate?

As for being mis-used by kids and such, that's pretty common with a lot of old ones but careful work can fix that.

As for shooting it, if it twas me, I'd have a complete assesment of the gun done first, not so much for shootable condition, but for originality, not including the restoration you're having done. If the gun is an American PA rifle from the 1750/60s, the value could be, and might be considerable!

Post the pics when you can, and there are several guys here that can give you a honest assesment, plus advice on who you could send it to for a complete assesment.

John
John Robbins

AZ Longrifle

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:25:35 PM »
Hi Dane,
I'm in central Scottsdale, where I'm an FFL/SOT 02 Mfg.
I have Mick from "Mick's Final Touches" doing the wood work. He rebuild and does repairs on million dollar furniture. I trust him. I need a good Gunsmith the specializes in BP gun to inspect and if it can be done safely, reconvert back to FL. It's a heavy barrel and .36cal. I'm not worried about it splitting with a moderate load.
I'm just starting to shoot at Rio Salado in Mesa, in BP section. I'm a former, rehabilitated, IPSC Master Class Shooter, and Full Auto Class competitor currently.
Thank you for the sincere advice, I will follow it.
I hope you see you at the BP Pistol match next weekend. I'll be shooting a Colt 1851 Navy that I've owned for 20 yrs and never fired. This will be a 1st for me!
Curt LaManna
Capital Ordnance