Author Topic: FORT PITT VIDEO PRESENTATION by ALAN GUTCHESS  (Read 1060 times)

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
FORT PITT VIDEO PRESENTATION by ALAN GUTCHESS
« on: August 25, 2021, 11:06:16 PM »
This video was made in 2016 and is concerned with the history of Ft. Pitt, now Pittsburgh. Many of you may have seen this already but if not, it is worth the time to watch it. As a native of Pittsburgh, I found it fascinating. It runs about 15 to 20 minutes.

The presenter is Alan Gutchess, a gentleman many of you may know already.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?418753-1/fort-pitt-museum
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Natureboy

Re: FORT PITT VIDEO PRESENTATION by ALAN GUTCHESS
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 02:05:03 AM »
  Thanks for posting this. My 5-great grandfather, Alexander Kidd, was a militia soldier who took part in the building of Fort Pitt. Also Fort Stanwix (my great grandfather was named John Stanwix Kidd). Alexander was part of the British force in the F&I war, and his sons were part of the American Continental Army. This must have led to some interesting conversations around the family dinner table.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 08:30:46 PM »
I'd like to view this.  But when I click the link a page comes up that I can make no sense of.  It is about Pittsburgh and history, but I cannot tell what to do to see the video?
This computer stuff is way over my head!

Offline BradBrownBess

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 08:56:36 PM »
Super! Hope to visit the Pittsburg area in not too distant future.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 10:53:37 PM »
Brad, if you go to P'burgh, phone ahead to the Fort and see if you can meet up with Alan. He is a nice fellow though almost impossible to get in touch with. That should not deter you however. Alan is a top restorer and builds some fine rifles, or at least he did some time ago. He has a strong interest in paleo man in the New World, so if you have some questions on that subject, he is your source. Alan's dad Gerry Gutchess was a great builder and restorer as well. Apple and tree thing I guess. You will enjoy your visit to the Fort site and the powder magazine. Some nice displays are on hand.
Dick

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 10:57:33 PM »
I'd like to view this.  But when I click the link a page comes up that I can make no sense of.  It is about Pittsburgh and history, but I cannot tell what to do to see the video?
This computer stuff is way over my head!

You got to let it run a few minutes to get through the nonsense at the beginning.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964