Author Topic: Round Shot Flask  (Read 2171 times)

Offline acorn20

Round Shot Flask
« on: August 27, 2021, 07:46:46 PM »
This past Wednesday I helped a good friend organize his father's belongings for an upcoming estate sale.  As we were cleaning out a couple outbuildings, I found brass shot flask hanging on a peg under an old hunting coat.  The flask is round and I can't remember ever seeing a round one (not that I've been looking for one.)  Most that I've seen have been oblong or oval and made of leather or brass.  I offered to buy it from my friend but he said it was payment for helping him on this hot and humid day.  I thought it unique enough that I took a few pictures to post on the site.  It may have been resoldered at one time but otherwise is in fine, usable shape.

Dan Akers

Offline Dutch Blacky

Re: Round Shot Flask
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 07:55:08 PM »
Really nice and interesting.
I have never seen a shot flask like this.
Most oft the shot flask bodies are made of leather, to pretend noice.

Thank you for showing

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 10:27:47 PM »
 Another cool flask. Thanks for posting it.

Tim

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 11:00:52 PM »
 That reminds me of a flask a guy used at many Rendezvous back in the seventies and eighties. It was copper and fluted from the bottom right up to the spout. It had old brass cup hooks bent to make them a closed loop, on the sides, and a small brass drawer pull soldered to the bottom. The nicely fluted copper body of the flask was a recycled toilet float. He must have either seen one like this one, or made them both.

Hungry Horse

Online jbigley

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 09:18:32 PM »
That reminds me of a flask a guy used at many Rendezvous back in the seventies and eighties. It was copper and fluted from the bottom right up to the spout. It had old brass cup hooks bent to make them a closed loop, on the sides, and a small brass drawer pull soldered to the bottom. The nicely fluted copper body of the flask was a recycled toilet float. He must have either seen one like this one, or made them both.

Hungry Horse
That is a cool looking/ very unique shot flask. I like it! As for re-purposing a toilet bowl float...Like the Eskimo said in Never Cry Wolf, "Good idea." Thumbs up. --JB

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 08:43:15 PM »
Interesting flask  but it is a home made one . A shot flask body is made of leather  a metal one will be too noisy  and most game would be out of the far end of the field from the noise  . The only type of shoot where that flask  would be OK would be a clay pigeon shoot or such , diffidently not on a game shoot .
Feltwad