General discussion > Shop Made Tools

Restoring a post vise

<< < (2/6) > >>

Tim Crosby:
 Looking good Dan. As for the pinched fingers, I've done the same thing usually in the web of my hand, I wrapped some leather around the handle at the balls and that took care of it, gloves work well too.

Tim 

Dan Fruth:
Good idea Tim...I did the same thing working on this one!

Clint:
Dan,
A lot of these vises do not line up very well when the screw is tightened down. To remedy that you can take the pivot bolt out, tighten the  screw and line things up. The hinged jaw is most likely a little low and the wear on the pivot bolt will show it. After things are lined up and the bolt is out, run a bridge reamer through the hole and replace the bolt with a new oversized bolt. NICE spring btw. I have actually used threaded "U" bolts to attach the mounting plate and it works very well. Not quite the same as the traditional double wedge mount but it will get covered with stuff and your son won't give it a second thought.

R.J.Bruce:
I can't remember the number of times that I pinched the web between my thumb and forefinger when I let that heavy steel handle slide down and give me a righteous blood blister.

Dan Fruth:
This is starting to sound like the Mini Pearl story of cousin Naybob.

"Naybob could not stop picking up everything he fastened his eyes to. Once while at the smithy, he was up to his usual, picking up everything in sight, so the smithy heated up a horse shoe and set it on the bench. Sure enough Naybob had to pick it up, but he immediately dropped it a gave a hollar!!
The smithy laughingly said, Why didn't you hold onto that shoe Naybob, to which he replied...It don't take me long to look at a horseshoe!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version