Author Topic: DM Varney  (Read 1321 times)

Offline monro1066

DM Varney
« on: August 29, 2021, 09:43:29 AM »
Any one have any Biography etc on this maker .with thanks Don
1 rifled bore and 1 12 guage
Some of you may have noticed the hammer on the right is not original..are there any folks out there that can match the left hand hammer ?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 09:13:32 PM by monro1066 »

Offline ptk1126

Re: DM Varney
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 06:59:26 PM »
The only info I have is a reference to a half-stock marked "D.M. Varney, Burlington VT" with the
lock marked "Remington".
Lee Good said "David M. Varney was listed as a general gunsmith 1842-1873".

All the best
Paul

Offline OLUT

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 05:59:49 PM »
Here's a bit more on David M. Varney. I'm on vacation and my notes are not available, but as a collector of percussion over under guns, I know that he was one of several Vermont makers of single and multiple barrel sporting guns in the mid-1850's. As I recall, his guns were solid and well made . Varney was born in 1808 in Ferrisburgh, Vermont and worked in both St. Albans and Burlington until his death in 1875.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 07:48:06 PM »
POOR TYPING ON MY PART ...... David Morrell Varney died in October 1873, not 1875. Attached is his last listing in the Burlington city directory for 1873. As the gunmaking trade waned in the post civil war era, Varney apparently expanded his business into similar crafts

Offline Jerry Girard

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 09:55:31 PM »
Hello, You might find this trade card interesting. "Edgar H. Payn, successor to D. M. Varney". Jerry

Offline monro1066

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 09:19:36 PM »
Thank you all for yr replies........this is virtually in untouched condition except the r/h hammer being different.
I swapped this for a piece of Art .Im very keen to know if it is common to have makers signature near the front sight ?
Thankyou in advance .

Offline monro1066

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 09:30:55 PM »

Offline monro1066

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 09:42:02 PM »
The only signing (Stamped ) is at the muzzle.Both Locks are not signed.
All engraving that exists seems to be the same style.
Question: Does this imply that Varney made both Locks,both barrells ?
The engraving is seemingly very highly skilled and competent.......slightly understated .

Offline OLUT

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 03:14:43 AM »
The short answer is that  Varney undoubtedly DID NOT make the locks and barrels ......... Like most of the gunmakers in this specific "late percussion" time period, commercial locks, barrels, trigger assemblies and most other parts were bought . Each gunmaker then picked the type parts he wanted and then made the stock, fitted the desired parts to his   (or the customer's ) specifications, and did the final finishing. Engraving was sometimes done in the gun builder's shop and sometimes farmed out to a local engraver. .... that's why you can find percussion guns made in widely different location with the same patchbox, or inlay, etc. Note however, that in some parts of the country, commercial parts were difficult to get and the local gun builder was forced to make his own parts. These differences are what makes antique gun collecting so interesting to  me.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 05:44:44 AM »
I would only add to the above comments that, on these later percussion guns with commercial parts and furniture, the furniture could also be purchased already engraved from the better Eastern suppliers. Shelby Gallien

Offline heinz

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 11:48:32 PM »
Neat little gun.  As Shelby noted, frequenty the gunsmiths purchased most of their parts.  Many seem to have been noted for their skill in rifling the barrel to produce accurate shooters.  IN THE "MUZZLE LOADING CAP LOCK RIFLE" Ned Roberts talks about hunting and shooting with this style of rifle around the turn of the Nineteenth to Twentieth century.  Apparently, the double rifle was very popular with bear hunters.
kind regards, heinz

Offline monro1066

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 03:07:17 AM »
the rifled bore is large  ...over 60 Cal Id say .
The other barrell is 12 guage .
Thankyou all for input ......