Author Topic: It Ain't the Arrow, It's the Indian  (Read 12332 times)

Offline Don Getz

Re: It Ain't the Arrow, It's the Indian
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 03:35:08 PM »
Artisificer.......I would assume that you might also have known Walter Walsh.    I met him at Friendship and had many chats with him, a great guy.    I also was at that 1980 International shoot at Quantico.   We had a tent set up to display
our barrels, and the work or a lot of great gun builders, ..John Bivins, Monte Mandarino, Mark Silver, and others....we had
a great time.   I also remember the "Kentucky Corps" shooting there.   You might also remember the exhibition by the Japanese who demonstrated shooting that "Hand Cannon".   Very ceremonial, and impressive when they touched it off.
Don

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 05:29:57 PM »
This thread is drifting same as the then and now thread.  Guys, lets keep it to ML shooting.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »
This thread is drifting same as the then and now thread.  Guys, lets keep it to ML shooting.

Lets not force Daryl to put the spurs on ;D

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

jwh1947

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »
Just answering a question, not belaboring a non-Kentucky issue.  SDM--Squad Designated Marksman.  Marines have another designation adding another letter, but essentially the same thing. Every squad is to have one man who can reach out and touch someone at 300-500 yard ranges.  In the middle ground between the scout-snipers and regular infantrymen.  Thought you might have had some experience with the hardware.  OK, I'm finished with this...promise.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
Artisificer.......I would assume that you might also have known Walter Walsh.    I met him at Friendship and had many chats with him, a great guy.    I also was at that 1980 International shoot at Quantico.   We had a tent set up to display
our barrels, and the work or a lot of great gun builders, ..John Bivins, Monte Mandarino, Mark Silver, and others....we had
a great time.   I also remember the "Kentucky Corps" shooting there.   You might also remember the exhibition by the Japanese who demonstrated shooting that "Hand Cannon".   Very ceremonial, and impressive when they touched it off.
Don

Don,

I had forgotten about the Japanese shooting the hand cannon, but you are absolutely right, it was most impressive.

I did know Colonel Walsh, though I was too young to have served with him on active duty.  I first met him at the NSSA championships in the early 70's.  I could listen to him for hours.

I vaguely remember the dealer's row area cause I was running all over so much working on one "crisis" after another. I never really got a chance to look through dealer's row.  I would have enjoyed meeting you, seeing your barrels and the rifles on display. 

Do you remember the NSSA cannon crew that first took a "bite" out of the watermelon hung up and then blew it all over the range? 

If you remember the presentation of medals to the winners, I was the guy in the buckskin trousers, hunting shirt and round hat that held the flag of each Gold Medalist behind the winner when they presented the medals.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 09:46:20 PM »
Daryl,

My apology for using modern gun shooting to illustrate the points I try to make about shooting technique.  Though of course there are some differences, basic and even advanced marksmanship do not change whether you are shooting a ML or a modern rifle or pistol.  However, I will honor your wishes.